new OS, existing entries

  • Eric Gunther
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 29, 2008
      Hello,

      I've been using nanoblogger for a while and I have accumulated a lot of
      entries. Recently I changed my OS (UbuntuStudio>Debian_etch). I
      extracted the weblog directory into /home/eric/public_html but I can't
      seem to get nanoblogger to recognize the existing entries. Also I can't
      seem to change the editor (from vim) which I have a hard time using.

      I have tried editing the /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf file to use
      /home/eric/public_html/weblog as the default directory

      I have tried editing /home/eric/public_html/weblog/blog.conf so that the
      editor is nano

      neither one seems to work.

      any help would be appreciated,

      thanks

      -

      While I'm posting I also wanted to ask if there is a way to use common
      ?bash? commands to

      - convert jpg's into png of a certain size

      - put a small banner with these converted png's on the bottom of the
      page as a gallery (with the existing templates)

      I was thinking that I could use a table with something like 20 cells to
      house the images, and that png's would be relatively quick to load.
    • Christian Herenz
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 29, 2008
        Eric Gunther schrieb:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I've been using nanoblogger for a while and I have accumulated a lot of
        > entries. Recently I changed my OS (UbuntuStudio>Debian_etch). I
        > extracted the weblog directory into /home/eric/public_html but I can't
        > seem to get nanoblogger to recognize the existing entries. Also I can't
        > seem to change the editor (from vim) which I have a hard time using.
        >
        > I have tried editing the /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf file to use
        > /home/eric/public_html/weblog as the default directory

        Edit the .bashrc in your $HOME:

        EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
        export EDITOR

        And then you can comment the NB_EDITOR line in blog.conf out.

        > I have tried editing /home/eric/public_html/weblog/blog.conf so that the
        > editor is nano
        >
        > neither one seems to work.

        This should work too, but have you set this as your blog directory in
        .bashrc?

        export BLOG_DIR=/home/eric/public_html/weblog/

        > any help would be appreciated,
        >
        > thanks

        np... email if something does still not work...

        > -
        >

        > While I'm posting I also wanted to ask if there is a way to use common
        > ?bash? commands to
        >
        > - convert jpg's into png of a certain size

        convert input.jpg -resize X_SIZExY_SIZE (or RELSIZE%) output.png

        easy, huh :-) ... you have to have imagemagick installed
        > - put a small banner with these converted png's on the bottom of the
        > page as a gallery (with the existing templates)
        >
        > I was thinking that I could use a table with something like 20 cells to
        > house the images, and that png's would be relatively quick to load.

        Are you planning to change those often, you have to create a skript that
        does this for you. If you just want some 20 pictures you can edit the
        templates (css and html) to your needs (which i think you also need for
        change). Not knowing what you really want, I cant give you a more
        detailed description. But you can experiment with
        $BLOGDIR/templates/main_index.htm and your stylefile on your own, if you
        know some html a static gallery on the bottom should be not that hard.

      • softer_3d
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 29, 2008
          Hey! thanks for the reply.

          --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, Christian Herenz <herenz@...> wrote:

          > Eric Gunther schrieb:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I've been using nanoblogger for a while and I have accumulated a
          lot of
          > > entries. Recently I changed my OS (UbuntuStudio>Debian_etch). I
          > > extracted the weblog directory into /home/eric/public_html but I
          can't
          > > seem to get nanoblogger to recognize the existing entries. Also I
          can't
          > > seem to change the editor (from vim) which I have a hard time using.
          > >
          > > I have tried editing the /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf file to use
          > > /home/eric/public_html/weblog as the default directory
          > >

          > Edit the .bashrc in your $HOME:
          >
          > EDITOR=/usr/bin/nano
          > export EDITOR
          >
          > And then you can comment the NB_EDITOR line in blog.conf out.

          This works but I'm curious why nanoblogger doesn't recognize the change.

          > > I have tried editing /home/eric/public_html/weblog/blog.conf so
          that the
          > > editor is nano
          > >
          > > neither one seems to work.
          > >

          > This should work too, but have you set this as your blog directory in
          > .bashrc?
          >
          > export BLOG_DIR=/home/eric/public_html/weblog/
          >

          > > any help would be appreciated,
          > >
          > > thanks
          > >

          > np... email if something does still not work...

          I think after I try getting some things to work I may take you up on
          the offer
          Thanks,

          > > -
          > >

          > > While I'm posting I also wanted to ask if there is a way to use
          common
          > > ?bash? commands to
          > >
          > > - convert jpg's into png of a certain size
          > >

          > convert input.jpg -resize X_SIZExY_SIZE (or RELSIZE%) output.png
          >
          > easy, huh :-) ... you have to have imagemagick installed
          > > - put a small banner with these converted png's on the bottom
          of the
          > > page as a gallery (with the existing templates)

          I looked around on sourceforge and freshmeat and found libraries and
          larger scale programs but I knew there was something out there.

          > > I was thinking that I could use a table with something like 20
          cells to
          > > house the images, and that png's would be relatively quick to load.
          > >

          > Are you planning to change those often, you have to create a skript
          that
          > does this for you. If you just want some 20 pictures you can edit the
          > templates (css and html) to your needs (which i think you also need for
          > change). Not knowing what you really want, I cant give you a more
          > detailed description. But you can experiment with
          > $BLOGDIR/templates/main_index.htm and your stylefile on your own, if
          you
          > know some html a static gallery on the bottom should be not that hard.

          I wanted nanoblogger to generate them from a directory automatically
          with the blog. Imagemagic is the first step though.

          Thanks

          '

        • Kevin W.
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 29, 2008
            Eric, a couple of points.

            Don't forget to check $HOME/.nb.conf - it overrides /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf.

            Note that when NB_EDITOR is set, it overrides EDITOR.

            All of these points are explained in the user manual, but of course you're welcome to make any suggestions.

            Thanks,
            Kevin

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
              Kevin,

              Thanks for pointing that out.  I found nb.conf in the weblog directory although I havn't seen it in my home directory.  I think maybe the issue is that I installed with apt-get install nanoblogger as root and I am using the computer as a "limited" user.

              Regardless, I am using nano to edit and configure now and am trying to get nb to use iceape (seamonky's debian alternate) as the browser.  I get an error, something like like;

              /usr/share/nanoblogger/lib/tools.sh

              line 607                nb_browser not found

              I intend to email Cristian about this new difficulty.  First I think I am going to install by downloading the tar.gz from sourceforge and extracting it into my home directory.

              Thanks for the help,

              Eric

              --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin W." <un1xt3r@...> wrote:

              > Eric, a couple of points.
              >
              > Don't forget to check $HOME/.nb.conf - it overrides /etc/nanoblogger/nb.conf.
              >
              > Note that when NB_EDITOR is set, it overrides EDITOR.
              >
              > All of these points are explained in the user manual, but of course you're welcome to make any suggestions.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Kevin
              >

              > ________________________________

            • softer_3d
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 30, 2008
                I got the preview to work by

                nb -b ~/public_html/weblog --configure

                changed line 103 under Misc settings

                "nb_browser" to "iceape"

                --great just great.

                Eric

                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 31, 2008
                  softer_3d schrieb:
                  > /
                  > /I intend to email Cristian about this new difficulty. First I think
                  > I am going to install by downloading the tar.gz from sourceforge and
                  > extracting it into my home directory.
                  I use the tarball... Does not make sense for me to install this as a
                  system wide package. But however, I have completely disabled the browser
                  function, since i do not really need it. Atm, I dont know really how I
                  did this, but I think via BLOG_PREVIEW_CMD=" in blog.conf. Not 100% sure.

                  Happy New Year than...
                • softer_3d
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2009
                    --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, Christian Herenz <herenz@...> wrote:

                    > softer_3d schrieb:
                    > > /
                    > > /I intend to email Cristian about this new difficulty. First I think
                    > > I am going to install by downloading the tar.gz from sourceforge and
                    > > extracting it into my home directory.
                    > I use the tarball... Does not make sense for me to install this as a
                    > system wide package. But however, I have completely disabled the
                    browser
                    > function, since i do not really need it. Atm, I dont know really how I
                    > did this, but I think via BLOG_PREVIEW_CMD=" in blog.conf. Not 100%
                    sure.

                    > Happy New Year than...

                    Yeah, I tried extracting the tarball... had more luck with the system
                    wide install.

                    Hap, Hap, Happy New Year