can I use nb to post on a yahoo360 blog and vice versa

  • softer_3d
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hello,

      I'm new to nanoblogger

      -  new to blogging

      -  relatively new to Linux (Ubuntustudio )

      While I  have oodles of questions about nb I have only one that I'm currently at the point of really asking about.  I have done a fair amount of wrangling with nb and Ubuntu but I am still learning.

      What I want to know is, can I use nanoblogger to automatically publish to a free yahoo blog.  Right now, because of my inexperience I don't really want to invest the money in a stumbling blog but I would be happy to invest the time in learning;  nb, HTML, maybe something about XML.

      here is what I have http://www.geocities.com/softer_3d/

      So far I've only used the default blog to try this out, primarily I was curious to see if the blog would show because of an "alien" generator type,  or so I thought.  Seems to show fine but making changes to configuration is a problem because I have to do them on my computer and then upload the files.

      So I can see that the 360 blog has the feature of adding new content "Post" and I'm curious if one could integrate the nb generated html somehow.  One thing I do know is that the blog setup uses css.

      If this is at all bending any rules or conventions in terms of yahoo , I apologize for asking.

      otherwise thanks for any help,

      softer
    • Christian Herenz
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
        softer_3d schrieb:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm new to nanoblogger
        >
        > - new to blogging
        >
        > - relatively new to Linux (Ubuntustudio <http://ubuntustudio.org/> )

        Nanoblogger seems to be a product more for experienced users, in my
        oppinion. Maybe you should try something else, more focused at
        "ease-of-use".

        > While I have oodles of questions about nb I have only one that I'm
        > currently at the point of really asking about. I have done a fair
        > amount of wrangling with nb and Ubuntu but I am still learning.

        Okay... If you wan't to learn something, than that is cool?

        > What I want to know is, can I use nanoblogger to automatically publish
        > to a free yahoo blog.
        As far, as I can tell from viewing your first entry on your blog, it
        seems like it works. However, I have no experience using Yahoo! as
        Webspace for HTML Files generated by Nanoblogger, but if you have a ftp
        (scp or whatever) acsess to a webserver, you can publish sites generated
        by nb.

        > Right now, because of my inexperience I don't really want to invest
        > the money in a stumbling blog but I would be happy to invest the time
        > in learning; nb, HTML, maybe something about XML.
        Really good idea... There is, of course, lots of Information about
        everything on the Net, but there are also good Books on XML and HTML
        (and esp. CSS) out there.

        > here is what I have http://www.geocities.com/softer_3d/

        As mentioned above, looks promising - but I wouldn't prefer Yahoo! as
        free webspace, because of the Ad-Frame. Maybe you should invest at least
        some dollar to webspace. Free Webspace means always that adds will be
        placed on your site.

        > So far I've only used the default blog to try this out, primarily I
        > was curious to see if the blog would show because of an "alien"
        > generator type, or so I thought. Seems to show fine but making
        > changes to configuration is a problem because I have to do them on my
        > computer and then upload the files.

        Nanoblogger generates static html files, which means that you only need
        to upload the generated files everytime (I do that with rsync), local
        changes won't affect your site as long as you have not uploaded anything
        to your webspace afterwards.

        > So I can see that the 360 blog has the feature of adding new content
        > "Post" and I'm curious if one could integrate the nb generated html
        > somehow. One thing I do know is that the blog setup uses css.

        This is not possible, since nanoblogger generates static html files,
        which can't be changed in a way of adding new posts to an existing blog
        by an external programm.

        > If this is at all bending any rules or conventions in terms of yahoo ,
        > I apologize for asking.
        >
        > otherwise thanks for any help,
        >
        > softer

        Greets,
        Christian
      • softer_3d
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2008
          --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, Christian Herenz <herenz@...> wrote:

          > > - relatively new to Linux (Ubuntustudio <http://ubuntustudio.org/> )
          >
          > Nanoblogger seems to be a product more for experienced users, in my
          > oppinion. Maybe you should try something else, more focused at
          > "ease-of-use".

          I've thought of that but I've found its just as hard to use many of
          the interfaces out there.

          > > While I have oodles of questions about nb I have only one that I'm
          > > currently at the point of really asking about. I have done a fair
          > > amount of wrangling with nb and Ubuntu but I am still learning.
          > >
          > Okay... If you wan't to learn something, than that is cool?

          Yeah, or at least bang my head against the problem.

          > > What I want to know is, can I use nanoblogger to automatically
          publish
          > > to a free yahoo blog.
          > As far, as I can tell from viewing your first entry on your blog, it
          > seems like it works. However, I have no experience using Yahoo! as
          > Webspace for HTML Files generated by Nanoblogger, but if you have a ftp
          > (scp or whatever) acsess to a webserver, you can publish sites
          generated
          > by nb.

          well... with the Yahoo free option there is no ftp (see below)

          > > Right now, because of my inexperience I don't really want to invest
          > > the money in a stumbling blog but I would be happy to invest the time
          > > in learning; nb, HTML, maybe something about XML.
          > Really good idea... There is, of course, lots of Information about
          > everything on the Net, but there are also good Books on XML and HTML
          > (and esp. CSS) out there.

          Found enough on the web to make a macro for ftp and to make a .netrc
          file so far, but the HTML or maybe XHTML does look powerful.

          > > here is what I have http://www.geocities.com/softer_3d/
          > >

          > As mentioned above, looks promising - but I wouldn't prefer Yahoo! as
          > free webspace, because of the Ad-Frame. Maybe you should invest at
          least
          > some dollar to webspace. Free Webspace means always that adds will be
          > placed on your site.

          *(see below)

          I found that Bravenet has a ftp option for their web service and I got
          most of the procedure worked out but the adds really turned me off.
          They are worse than yahoo. Anyway I'm thinking of taking your suggestion.

          > > So far I've only used the default blog to try this out, primarily I
          > > was curious to see if the blog would show because of an "alien"
          > > generator type, or so I thought. Seems to show fine but making
          > > changes to configuration is a problem because I have to do them on my
          > > computer and then upload the files.
          > >
          > Nanoblogger generates static html files, which means that you only need
          > to upload the generated files everytime (I do that with rsync), local
          > changes won't affect your site as long as you have not uploaded
          anything
          > to your webspace afterwards.

          I'll have to check out rsync. Also have to find out the difference
          between static and ?dynamic? HTML.

          > > So I can see that the 360 blog has the feature of adding new content
          > > "Post" and I'm curious if one could integrate the nb generated html
          > > somehow. One thing I do know is that the blog setup uses css.
          > >
          > This is not possible, since nanoblogger generates static html files,
          > which can't be changed in a way of adding new posts to an existing blog
          > by an external programm.

          Oh, OK

          > > If this is at all bending any rules or conventions in terms of
          yahoo ,
          > > I apologize for asking.
          > >
          > > otherwise thanks for any help,
          > >
          > > softer
          > >
          > Greets,
          > Christian

          Greetings and Thanks

          softer
        • Kevin W.
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
            Softer_3d,

            Here's a few recommendations off the top of my head:

            1. for ftp checkout sitecopy, it also does WebDAV
            2. for web hosting checkout http://fastmail.fm
            3. and http://sdf.lonestar.org

            IIRC, both Fastmail and SDF, provide free limited accounts which can then be upgraded to a membership account which you have to pay for. I haven't used SDF extensively, but I can personally attest for Fastmail, it's an excellent service.

            Greetings,
            Kevin

            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2008
              Kevin,

              Greetings , SDF looks like More than I was hoping for although I have
              to extensively investigate both (looks like I'll be busy on and off
              for the next month). Also I will checkout sitecopy, that could be
              what I was Asking for after all.

              Thanks for the recomendations,

              Softer