A few noob questions

  • astrotrf2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
      I've just begun using nb v3.3, and I have some questions (or possibly
      suggestions ...). I'm reading back through the group to see if
      they've been answered already, but it's kinda tough sorting through
      all of the spam! I apologize if these questions are RTFM things; I
      didn't find anything about them in the manual. Ignore me and I'll go
      away quietly ...

      When the main page comes up, it shows the month of the most recent
      blog update. It would be nice if the viewer could go back to previous
      months to catch up on old entries.

      The main page shows 10 articles by default; it would be nice if the
      viewer had a way to see the *next* 10 entries, &c.

      If there are ways to enable these features, I'd appreciate hearing
      about them.

      Oh, and BTW, after reading back for a bit ... please count me among
      those who do not see "nb query all edit entry 5" as an improvement
      over "nb -e 5". :-)

      Thanks for any assistance.

      Terry (astrotrf)
    • Christian Herenz
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1, 2008
        astrotrf2002 schrieb:
        > I've just begun using nb v3.3, and I have some questions (or possibly
        > suggestions ...). I'm reading back through the group to see if
        > they've been answered already, but it's kinda tough sorting through
        > all of the spam! I apologize if these questions are RTFM things; I
        > didn't find anything about them in the manual. Ignore me and I'll go
        > away quietly ...

        Yeah... The SPAM is anoying on this list... Isn't there a way to delete
        SPAM Mails.

        > When the main page comes up, it shows the month of the most recent
        > blog update. It would be nice if the viewer could go back to previous
        > months to catch up on old entries.

        This is a possible (and I don't think you have to change any settings) -
        however, if you also want each entry individual archived you have to
        edit the blog.conf - but thats also prety straight foreward and needs
        almost no explanation.. just look for the line:
        # build individual archives of each entry - 0/1 = off/on.
        ENTRY_ARCHIVES="1"

        > The main page shows 10 articles by default; it would be nice if the
        > viewer had a way to see the *next* 10 entries, &c.

        Also... blog.conf:
        # maximum number of entries to display on the main index page.
        MAX_ENTRIES="20"

        > If there are ways to enable these features, I'd appreciate hearing
        > about them.
        >
        > Oh, and BTW, after reading back for a bit ... please count me among
        > those who do not see "nb query all edit entry 5" as an improvement
        > over "nb -e 5". :-)

        Me neither. In Version 3.3 you can run "nb --configure" and it will fire
        up you $EDITOR and you can make the changes if you want.
        > Thanks for any assistance.

        I hope I got your questions right... My blog is at
        http://knusper.says.it/ - if you click on the month you can browse older
        months ... I think that is what you want, and that should be enabled by
        default.
        > Terry (astrotrf)

        Greets,
        Christian
      • deber@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2, 2008
          --- In nanoblogger@yahoogroups.com, "astrotrf2002" <egroups@...> wrote:

          >(...>
          > When the main page comes up, it shows the month of the most recent
          > blog update. It would be nice if the viewer could go back to previous
          > months to catch up on old entries.
          >
          > The main page shows 10 articles by default; it would be nice if the
          > viewer had a way to see the *next* 10 entries, &c.

          >(...)
          > Terry (astrotrf)

          It is very possible to have several main pages index, up to the max of
          the entries. You can change the default setting (10 entries) to an higher
          or smaller amount. To activate these settings you must change the
          default setting by editing the file "blog.conf". By example you wish
          to show no more than 5 entries/page and you have 41 entries in data
          directory. With the correct setting in blog.conf, nanoblogger engine
          will generate 9 main pages index. And it is the same thing for large
          archive pages index. Just read the manual and the comments of
          blog.conf file.
          I encourage you to upgrade to the experimental version (nb 3.4 rc2):
          there so much improvement !

          As a good example, have a look over my blogs (in french) at:
          "http://oceamer.com/~nanoblogger/"
          "http://oceamer.com/~interlude/"

          --deber
        • astrotrf2002
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2008
            Thanks for the responses to my questions. Perhaps it will help to see
            my own blog, which is just idiot-simple compared to your own:

            http://www.bunker-ranch.com/~broblog/index.html

            I understand that nanoblogger will take my 19 entries and make two
            pages of 10 entries, with 10 on the main page and 9 entries on a
            secondary page -- but I don't see a link to click anywhere to view
            that secondary page of the final 9 entries.

            And note that the "August 2008" header on my calendar is not clickable
            the way others seem to be. What I would like is a way to go back to
            the July calendar page, for example.

            I'm no power blogger; I am really just experimenting with nanoblogger
            as a way to give my family a way to find out where I am and what I am
            doing. So in that sense, for me, it's adequate just the way it is. I
            just figured that I might be missing out on some features.

            Thanks again for any help.

            Terry (astrotrf)