Anthony Franciosa on TCM

  • jennydee@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
      On Turner Classic Movies (TCM) this weekend, there's a little segment where
      Tony F. describes working with director Elia Kazan on the movie A Face in the
      Crowd. I'd say the segment runs about 5 minutes, entitled Word of Mouth. It
      will probably repeat until Tuesday, when the movie airs.

      Not directly TNOTG related, but for TF fans, it's work a look see :-)

    • dghprobe3
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2004
        Hi Jenny: Thanks greatly for passing that info along. Items like
        this will make for neat "extras" we can put at the ends of some of
        our NOTG tapes and DVDs. Let us know if you run across anything
        similar in the future. :-)

        --Don

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 5, 2004
          Hi Jenny: I managed to tape that TCM "Word of Mouth" segment with
          Franciosa last night. It runs only two minutes, but he discusses
          mainly the outdoor crowd scene where his character observes Andy
          Griffith and Lee Remick while thinking of the possibilities of their
          meeting each other. Director Kazan noticed Franciosa doing something
          off camera which he wanted included in the film. It's one of those
          examples of how things not particularly noted in the script get added
          to movies while in the midst of shooting.

          Jenny, does this sound like the segment you saw? It seems to me that
          this is from a larger interview, probably leftover from the Rita
          Hayworth documentary they did recently. They may have brought TF in
          and had him discuss many of his films at one time, with the idea of
          running different segments in the future.

          Keep a watch out for any new interviews of this nature. For those
          who don't get satellite or cable, I plan to make an mp3 of the audio
          and post it to our Files section shortly. Video and/or audio
          interviews of TF are difficult to find. Thanks again. :-)

          --Don

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 2004
            Yes, that's very definitely the one. Maybe it felt longer because I was so
            excited to see TF on television ;-).

            Interesting to note that I discovered it quite by accident. I was channel
            surfing and barely caught a glimpse of him (and heard his voice) as I quickly
            zipped past TCM. The second I zipped past however, my mind went..."Hey, wait a
            minute, wasn't that..."

            Glad you caught it too, Don. I still haven't been able to record it, but
            after stumbling across it on Saturday, I did catch it again Sunday to watch it in
            its entirety. Unfortunately when I did I was no where near a VCR.

            Thanks for the heads up about the Hayworth interview. I'll definitely be
            looking for it.