FAA BANS PERSONAL SEATBELT EXTENDERS!

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2012
      FAA BANS PERSONAL SEATBELT EXTENDERS!
      CALL TO ACTION!

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      August 25, 2012

      Foster City, CA - On July 30, 2012 the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued an Information for Operators (InFO) memo regarding Use of Passenger-Provided Seat Belt Extenders. The FAA is banning passenger-provided seat belt extenders that are manufactured by AmSafe, the same company that the airlines use for their seat belt extenders and are FAA-approved.

      NAAFA sees this ban as a discriminatory practice against passengers of size because it could potentially limit the ability of people of size to travel by air. Most airlines carry no more than two or three seatbelt extenders on each flight. If there are more passengers of size on a flight than number of onboard seat belt extenders available, are those passengers without an extender then removed from the flight?

      In the statement, the FAA says:

      "Operators should be aware that seat belt extenders are being marketed to the public for their personal use while traveling. These extenders are marketed as "FAA PMA approved." Some are categorized as specific to each airline and others are sold under the heading "Universal, adjustable & FAA-safe" and are sold "for use on all airlines". While these extenders may have a label that indicates they are FAA-approved and conform to TSO-C22g, they are not inspected and maintained under each airline's FAA-accepted CAMP and should not be used (emphasis added). In order to support compliance with 14 CFR sections regarding the use of seat belts, assigned crewmembers should be aware of the possibility that passengers may attempt to use these extenders while on board their aircraft."

      If you have purchased a FAA-approved seat belt extender, why is the FAA now suggesting this ban? Are they now setting it up for airlines to charge for the use of onboard seat belt extenders?

      Since it is the FAA's "Vision" statement that, "We are accountable to the American public and our stakeholders" NAAFA suggests that you contact the FAA to register a complaint.

      Questions or comments regarding this "InFO" should be directed to the Part 121 Air Carrier Operations Branch, AFS-220 at (202) 267-8166 or call 1-866-TELL-FAA.

      You may also contact the Department of Transportation Departmental Office of Civil Rights at 202-366-4648 or through their website at http://www.dotcr.ost.dot.gov/ to register a citizens' complaint. Reference FAA InFO 12012; dated 7/30/12; Subject: Use of Passenger-Provided Seat Belt Extenders.

      SAMPLE LETTER:

      RE: InFO 12012; dated 7/30/12; Subject: Use of Passenger-Provided Seat Belt Extenders.

      I wish to issue a citizens' complaint as a passenger of size that this decision by the FAA to ban personally-provided seat belt extenders is discriminatory against passengers of size since there are a limited number of seat belt extenders available on each flight. The FAA's "Vision" statement claims "We are accountable to the American public and our stakeholders." If there are more passengers of size on a flight than number of seat belt extenders available, are those passengers then removed from the flight? I ask that you withdraw this ban which could limit the ability of passengers of size to travel.

      Founded in 1969, NAAFA is a non-profit civil rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.

      On the web: http://www.naafa.org

      For more information contact:
      Peggy Howell, Public Relations Director, NAAFA
      Email: naafa_pr@...