Set a “STANDard”!

  • Peggy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2012
      Set a "STANDard"!

      For Immediate Release
      January 31, 2012

      Foster City, CA - NAAFA encourages you to stand in support of the efforts of the grassroots campaign which has been organized in response to the hateful ads and billboards launched in Georgia in early 2011. You may recall that NAAFA called for the removal of these damaging billboards in March, 2011. Since that time we have learned that Georgia Children's Health Alliance has committed to spending $5 million over the next five years on this negative Strong4Life campaign.

      There are three aspects to this exciting Stand4Every Body campaign:

      Fat activist Marilyn Wann's graphic response to the fat hating ads is the "I STAND" ad campaign. Marilyn would love for supporters of all sizes to send her a photograph and she will help you become a "STANDard". Here's what she suggests: Send a photo, looking straight at the camera, along with what you stand for to: marilyn@... Your finished ad can either include your name or not, but either way, the white line of text in the bottom left corner can read something like: PEGGY HOWELL, NAAFA MEMBER or: NAAFA MEMBER. Take a look at some of the almost 200 fabulous ads created thus far: http://fatkidsunited.wordpress.com/2012/01/23/stand4kids-tumblr/

      Blogger and fat activist Atchka Fatty calls you to action by providing contact information for the people you should write to and sample letters for those who prefer help with writing a letter. He has also organized a video project for those who enjoy expressing yourself via video. Read all about how you can get involved at: http://fatkidsunited.wordpress.com/

      Dancer, performer and fat activist Ragen Chastain is coordinating fund raising efforts for the billboards with a positive message and other materials to combat the Strong4Life campaign. Read all about the Support All Kids Billboard Project at: http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/the-billboard-project/

      We encourage our members to get involved, become a "STANDard", write a letter, forward campaign details to others, and contribute your ideas and talents. Let's combine all our efforts to put an end to the Strong4Life campaign.

      Founded in 1969, NAAFA is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.

      On the web: http://www.naafa.org

      For more information contact:
      Peggy Howell, Public Relations Director
      National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA)
      e-mail: pr@...