Size Acceptance Activist Passes Away

  • Peggy Howell
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 28, 2013

      Size Acceptance Activist Passes Away

      The NAAFA Board of Directors extends our deepest condolences and sympathy to the family and friends of Kara Brewer Allen, former Co-Chair of NAAFA.  Kara championed the cause of size acceptance, working to end discrimination against people of large body size for many years.  Our community has suffered a great loss as a result of her passing.
      Kara, who died on December 26, 2013, from complications following chemotherapy, lived in Asheville, North Carolina with her husband David Guy Allen.  Kara’s heart was filled with love, laughter and music. All who knew Kara, knew she always had a permanent smile affixed to her face and a song on her lips.I love, love, LOVE to SING...ever since I was a small child after seeing the Sound of Music!...when I am on stage or when I am singing, I feel that I am closest to being my authentic self without being self-conscious. (I know, makes very little sense!)”, wrote Kara.
      Kara taught Communications at AB Technical Community College and was a long time active member of Womansong, Asheville's oldest and largest women's community chorus.  Kara’s family, friends, students, fellow actors and songbirds all mourn the loss of an extraordinarily loving woman some call an angel.  We’re confident that she is now singing with the heavenly choir.
      Founded in 1969, NAAFA is a non-profit human rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.
      On the web:  http://www.naafa.org

      For more information contact:
      Peggy Howell, Public Relations Director
      National Association to Advance Fat Acceptance (NAAFA)
      e-mail:  pr@...    phone:  916-558-6880