Put an End to Bullying

  • naafa_pr
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2012
      Put an End to Bullying

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      October 6, 2012

      Foster City, CA – NAAFA is proud of Jennifer Livingston, a TV news anchor from Wisconsin, who took a public on-air stand against a bully who felt it appropriate to call her out as a "bad example" and not a "suitable" role model for youth, particularly girls, because of her body size. Bullying comes in many forms and is pervasive in our society today. Fat people are among the most bullied. People come in all sizes. Good role models are not determined by body size. Good role models come in all sizes, races and creeds.

      We need more people of size to stand up to say that they are living examples of the majority of people in this country who work every day, live their lives now (not when they've lost weight or when they look as others think they should look), have a family and are happy as they are.

      Those accusing any celebrity or media representative of being a bad role model because "being fat can't be healthy so you need to diet" are absolutely wrong. Thin does not equal health, fat does not equal disease.

      NAAFA is standing with Jennifer in fighting against the bullies that would attempt to destroy our self-esteem and sense of self-worth. Stand with NAAFA in its fight for EQUALITY AT EVERY SIZE. Stand with us and make a difference in the lives of adults and children who are faced with the hurtful words of bullies every day.

      Jennifer ended her message as follows: "I leave you with this: To all of the children out there who feel lost, who are struggling with your weight, with the color of your skin, your sexual preference, your disability, even the acne on your face, listen to me right now. Do not let your self-worth be defined by bullies. Learn from my experience — that the cruel words of one are nothing compared to the shouts of many."

      NAAFA started their "End Bullying Now" campaign in 2011. We have created a free resource for anyone that has contact with children. The NAAFA Child Advocacy Toolkit shows how to take the focus off weight and direct it to healthy behavior. It addresses bullying, building positive self-esteem and eliminating stigmatization of large children. The toolkit includes educational materials, curriculum and programming that is beneficial for all children. NAAFA's CATK is available at: http://issuu.com/naafa/docs/naafa_childadvocacy2011combined_v04?viewMode=magazine&mode=embed

      Founded in 1969, NAAFA is a non-profit civil rights organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for fat people. NAAFA works to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provide fat people with the tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support.

      On the web: http://www.naafa.org

      For more information contact:
      Peggy Howell, Public Relations Director
      e-mail: pr@... phone: 916-558-6880