132A Weight-Neutral, Health-Centered College Level Curriculum is

  • Peggy
    Aug 9, 2013
      A Weight-Neutral, Health-Centered College Level Curriculum is
      Now Available!

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
      August 9, 2013

      San Francisco Bay Area, CA - The Health At Every Size® Curriculum, specifically developed to provide a peer reviewed, weight neutral approach towards health, fills a void in health curricula at colleges, universities, and professional trainings. The Health at Every Size (HAES®) model is an approach that favors individualized and healthful choices with regards to eating, movement, and body acceptance as well as weight neutral public health. It provides an alternative to weight based messages promoting low-calorie dieting and food restriction. The curriculum contains:

      • Three PowerPoint® Presentations and discussion questions on Overview of HAES, Developing a Healthy Relationship with Food & Exercise, and Size Acceptance
      • Pre-recorded webinars for each of the three sections
      • Audience Survey Tool
      • Exam Questions
      • Assignment Ideas
      • List of additional resources

      Three organizations partnered to support the development of these materials: NAAFA, The Weight Realities and Higher Education Divisions of the Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) and the Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH). The HAES curriculum project, (www.haescurriculum.com) was led by Dawn Clifford, PhD, RD Associate Professor & Didactic Programs in Dietetics Director, Department of Nutrition and Food Science, California State University in Chico, California and her student intern Crystal Vasquez.

      An international committee of experts was formed to review the content. "Due to the robust nature of our peer review process, in which international experts reviewed every aspect of the curriculum and supplemental materials, instructors and trainers can be assured of the integrity of the content of this HAES Curriculum," commented Joanne Ikeda, SNEB Vice President.

      ASDAH President Fall Ferguson noted that it was Ikeda who brought the three organizations together as sponsors and recruited Clifford to lead the development. "This project represents a historic collaboration among our three organizations – the first of many, we hope," commented Ferguson.

      "We were honored to be approached by Joanne, one of our advisory board members to collaborate with SNEB and ASDAH and be a major sponsor of this project. We're proud of the work we've done together," stated NAAFA Board Chair, Jason Docherty.

      These materials can be downloaded for free at www.haescurriculum.com and from all three organizations' websites:

      www.NAAFA.org
      www.sneb.org
      www.sizediversityandhealth.org

      NAAFA is a non-profit human rights organization working to eliminate discrimination based on body size and provides tools for self-empowerment through public education, advocacy, and member support. For more information, contact: Peggy Howell, Public Relations Director, NAAFA, pr@..., Phone: (916) 558-6880

      The Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH) is an international professional organization started in 2003. It is an all-volunteer, not-for-profit organization whose diverse membership is committed to the Health At Every Size® (HAES®) principles as well as promoting size acceptance, ending weight discrimination, and lessening the cultural obsession with weight loss and thinness. For more information about ASDAH and the HAES model, please contact info@... or (877) 576 1102.

      The Society for Nutrition Education and Behavior (SNEB) represents the unique professional interests of nutrition educators in the United States and worldwide. SNEB is dedicated to promoting effective nutrition education and healthy behavior through research, policy and practice and has a vision of healthy communities, food systems and behaviors. For more information about SNEB, please contact info@..., (317) 328-4627, or (800) 235-6690.

      For more information, please contact:
      Dawn Clifford
      declifford@...
      (530) 898-6164