FW: Japanese Prime Minister's English

  • Adrian
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 2:16 AM
      A true story from the Japanese Embassy in US:

      A few years ago, Prime Minister Mori was given some Basic
      English conversation training before he visits Washington and
      meets with president Bill Clinton.
      The instructor told Mori "Prime Minister, when you shake hand
      with President Clinton, please say 'how are you'.
      Then Mr Clinton should say, "I am fine, and you?"
      Now you should say 'me too'.
      Afterwards we, translators, will do all the work for you."
      It looks quite simple, but the truth is....
      When Mori met Clinton, he mistakenly said "Who Are You?".
      Mr Clinton was a bit shocked but still managed to react with
      humour:
      "Well, I am Hilary's husband, ha ha..."
      Then Mori replied confidently "Me too, ha ha ha.."
      Then there was a long silent moment in the meeting room.