Re: Wonder Woman

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 18, 2003
      Are there any Wonder Woman fans in the Society? A friend is encouraging me
      to write an essay on _Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia_ for a popular culture
      convention, and I was wondering two things: (1) where is the story in which
      Wonder Woman became a goddess? (she later renounced her deity, I believe),
      and was it ever reprinted in graphic novel form? (2) where have the Furies
      (the Erinyes) appeared before in the modern Wonder Woman series? and,
      again, was this collected in graphic novel form?

      I'm not certain that I'm going to write the essay, but I'm considering it
      at least. I may have some other questions, if I do. (Like, who are the
      sisters of Wonder Woman who are mentioned in the work--Donna and Cassie?)

      I like the classical background of _The Hiketeia_ at least.

      --Joe
    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 18, 2003
        From: "Joe R. Christopher" <jchristopher@...>

        > Are there any Wonder Woman fans in the Society?

        <raises hand>

        >A friend is encouraging me
        > to write an essay on _Wonder Woman: The Hiketeia_ for a popular culture
        > convention, and I was wondering two things: (1) where is the story in
        which
        > Wonder Woman became a goddess? (she later renounced her deity, I believe),
        > and was it ever reprinted in graphic novel form?

        I sold all my comics a few years ago. The story's not that old -- within
        the last 10 to 15 years. I don't know if it was reprinted in graphic novel
        form. Did you check the DC Comics web site?

        (2) where have the Furies
        > (the Erinyes) appeared before in the modern Wonder Woman series? and,
        > again, was this collected in graphic novel form?

        This isn't ringing any bells. I'm sure I read them, but they didn't make a
        big impression on me.

        The problem with Wonder Woman, as with Superman, is that they reinvented her
        several times along the way. It's kind of hard to figure out what they've
        kept and what has been wiped out of her history.

        > I'm not certain that I'm going to write the essay, but I'm considering it
        > at least. I may have some other questions, if I do. (Like, who are the
        > sisters of Wonder Woman who are mentioned in the work--Donna and Cassie?)

        This I know, but it's convoluted as all long-lived comics stuff is. Donna
        is Donna Troy, formerly Wonder Girl, formerly (or perhaps still) Troia. She
        was one of the Teen Titans in the 1960s and onward. She never really had a
        back story until the early '70s, I think, when they decided that she had
        been a baby rescued from a burning house and brought to Paradise Island to
        be raised by the Amazons as Wonder Woman's little sister. Then in the '80s
        they re-did that and decided that she was really one of the Greek Titans
        (those were her real parents and the people in the fire were not her family)
        and she got her powers bumped up. Then I stopped following it and I know
        she went through more changes.

        Cassie is the new Wonder Girl, blonde and spunky. I think she hangs around
        with Young Justice, which is like the latest version of Teen Titans since
        the TT are mostly still around but grown up. I think she got her powers
        from the Greek gods around the time Diana was made a goddess. (She's
        goddess of Truth, if I recall correctly. But she may have been kicked out
        since I last looked at any of the comics.) Cassie is sort of a protege of
        Wonder Woman, as I recall. Not a real sister, but more of an adopted one.
        I believe Cassie's mom is around (as opposed to the parent-less Donna).

        Berni
      • Wayne G. Hammond
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 18, 2003
          Berni wrote:

          >The problem with Wonder Woman, as with Superman, is that they reinvented her
          >several times along the way. It's kind of hard to figure out what they've
          >kept and what has been wiped out of her history.

          I find it utterly impossible to figure out -- not that I've read much WW
          since the sixties. There are some WW websites that try to deal with it, and
          I see that there's a book, _Wonder Woman: The Complete History_, published
          in 2000.

          >This I know, but it's convoluted as all long-lived comics stuff is. Donna
          >is Donna Troy, formerly Wonder Girl, formerly (or perhaps still) Troia.

          Nope, she's dead, killed off apparently somewhat gratuitously not long ago.
          Or maybe I should say "dead", which is the way of super-hero comics.

          >Cassie is the new Wonder Girl, blonde and spunky. I think she hangs around
          >with Young Justice, which is like the latest version of Teen Titans since
          >the TT are mostly still around but grown up.

          Young Justice (which I followed for a while) also is no more, disbanded
          after Donna was killed, with most of YJ, including Cassie, now members of
          the Teen Titans.

          Wayne
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 18, 2003
            I like Wonder Woman and would love the opportunity to read up ... it's been
            Years!

            I am also a fan of Wicked Wanda,she is stylin'!

            Lizzie Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 19, 2003
              I always liked the *idea* of WW, but from what I remember, she had this
              lasso which glowed, and wore a patriotic bathing suit; I must have missed
              the issues where she exercised divine powers. I didn't remember her
              *doing* very much. Perhaps I'll pick up the book and see what I missed.
              ---djb

              I like Wonder Woman and would love the opportunity to read up ... it's been
              Years!

              I am also a fan of Wicked Wanda,she is stylin'!

              Lizzie Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 19, 2003
                From: <dianejoy@...>

                > I always liked the *idea* of WW, but from what I remember, she had this
                > lasso which glowed, and wore a patriotic bathing suit; I must have missed
                > the issues where she exercised divine powers. I didn't remember her
                > *doing* very much. Perhaps I'll pick up the book and see what I missed.

                Well, I'd skip the stuff from the late '60s when DC was trying to make their
                super-heroes more hip and relevant. Wonder Woman lost her powers and took
                up kung fu, complete with a Sensei character. I also was not wild about the
                issues in the '80s when Diana lost her right to be Wonder Woman and was
                replaced by an Amazon from another tribe, Artemis. (I personally enjoyed
                Wonder Woman working at Taco Bell, but a lot of people really hated those.
                These were stories in late '80s, as I recall.)

                I get a kick out of some of the old WWII-era stories. I haven't seen that
                many of them and they are so *not* politically correct, but they're fun.
                Etta Candy, her fat sidekick, was a sorority girl and runs around in a
                little college sweater and everything saying "woo, woo!" a lot. But Diana
                was always much more interesting than the Steve Canyon(? -- I'm blanking on
                the name) of that time.

                When George Perez re-did Wonder Woman in the '80s, starting her from the
                beginning again, those are pretty good. Her costume changed from being an
                eagle on the breast to a W for "woman." Also, Etta Candy is not comic any
                more and winds up with the Steve that always pursued Wonder Woman in the
                original version.

                The lasso doesn't really glow, I think. It's a gift from the gods that
                compels whoever is encircled by it to tell the truth.

                She became a goddess when she died -- I think she reverted back to the clay
                she came from, and this was in the mid to late '90s. She was welcomed into
                Olympus and made goddess of Truth.

                I'm very behind -- comics cost way too much money now and they take time to
                read so I stopped a while back. My nephew-in-law, also a comics reader,
                made a nice chunk of change for me selling my comics on E-Bay. (They also
                were taking up WAY too much room in the garage! At one point, I had almost
                every issue of X-Men. I was only missing something like 6.)

                For Buffy fans, the final issue of "Fray," Joss Whedon's comic about a
                future slayer, came out a few weeks ago. I did continue to follow that.
                (Hey, it's only 8 issues.)

                Berni
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 25, 2003
                  In a message dated 8/25/2003 9:30:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
                  jchristopher@... writes:

                  > the
                  > idea of the hiketeia,

                  Is there really such a thing? Where is it found in the sources?

                  Diamond Proudbrook