Griffins, griffins ggg "gryphons"

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
      Hi all,

      Daddy (the man who orders from Toscano) got me the sleeping gryphon shelf
      size (as opposed to outdoor size) statuette... it's sooooo cute. I usually
      spell it "griffin" now myself. I guess in Y2K I will have to break down and
      buy the silver griffin ring in Dancing Dragons, if they still have it.

      I dug out my Tolkien reader and only read part of On Fairy Stories but all of
      Leaf by Niggle. I am wondering if I could try my almost-4-year-old on the
      Tom Bombadil poems. Worth a shot, eh... And definitely those are good
      readaloud poems anyhow.

      anyone get any good books for Christmas?

      Lizzie
    • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
        Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie?

        In a message dated 12/26/99 4:24:36 PM Central Standard Time,
        ERATRIANO@... writes:

        > anyone get any good books for Christmas?

        The only book I got was one about praying with icons which is not to
        everyone's taste of course.

        Son's fiancee got a great-looking book, THE NUMBER DEVIL, I wish I could
        pinch it from her and read - but they leave tomorrow :(
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 26, 1999
          On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, you wrote:
          > From: ERATRIANO@...
          >

          > anyone get any good books for Christmas?

          The Ted Nasmith illustrated Silmarillion, Myths and Legends of Brittain, The
          Rise of Christendom, and The Pity of War
        • ERATRIANO@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
            In a message dated 12/26/1999 10:52:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            Stolzi@... writes:

            << Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie? >>
            You mean besides a normal love for mythical animals? oh, early impression...
            there was an article in Ranger Rick around 1970, when I was first discovering
            mythical stuff in elementary school... they had a lovely picture of a
            griffin, and a blurb, also, others that stayed wtih me, the basilisk and the
            Succarath (sp?) or Su (I always just thought of Su), as well as a wierd
            gorgon, looked like an armored, drooling buffalo, and I can't remember what
            else.

            Lizzie
          • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
              Stolzi@... writes:

              << Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie? >>
              Why do you ask, Mary? What do you like?

              Lizzie
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                In a message dated 12/27/99 7:01:19 AM Central Standard Time,
                ERATRIANO@... writes:

                > << Why are you so fond of griffins/gryphons, Lizzie? >>
                > Why do you ask, Mary? What do you like?

                Just out of curiosity. I've known people who loved dragons, or unicorns, but
                not griffins. I don't know that I have any particular preference of this
                kind.

                Mary S
              • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
                  In a message dated 12/27/1999 11:08:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  Stolzi@... writes:

                  << I've known people who loved dragons, or unicorns, but
                  not griffins. I don't know that I have any particular preference of this
                  kind. >>
                  Oh, well, I should mention that Griffins aren't my First choice.. they are
                  just popping up in my life all of a sudden, kind of, again. I like most of
                  the mythical beasties, plus a few D&D critters I suspect don't exist in real
                  mythology, plus of course my own creations and pastiches (is that the word?).

                  Lizzie
                • Diane Baker
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 27, 2000

                    Steve wrote:

                    > From: Steve <sschaper@...>
                    >
                    > On Sun, 26 Dec 1999, you wrote:
                    > > From: ERATRIANO@...
                    > >

                    > > anyone get any good books for Christmas?
                    > >

                    > The Ted Nasmith illustrated Silmarillion, Myths and Legends of Brittain, The
                    > Rise of Christendom, and The Pity of War
                    All look marvelous, though I'd be most interested in the first two.
                    Ted Nasmith is incredibly good. ---djb.