Re: [mythsoc] Audio Books: Read or Listen?

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2003
      Mari Dole wrote of "reading" the audio book. My understanding is that this
      is customary usage in the blind community.

      - David Bratman
    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2003
        Diane,

        Personally, I speak of listening to an audio book rather than reading. I
        don't know whether there's an accepted convention on this; it simply seems
        more accurate. It's interesting to listen to a book that I've already read
        (I've seldom listened first, then read) because I find I notice different
        things. If there's a good reader (I love Davina Porter) the rhythm of the
        prose comes through more clearly for me than when I'm reading.

        One of the few times I listened then read was with one of Lois McMaster
        Bujold's Vorkosigan novels, Barrayar I think. Carol Cowan and Michael
        Hanson read these. I wish audio book companies could be persuaded not to
        have adult men reading young boys' lines--the vocal quality is completely
        wrong and very distracting. I gave up & waited until I had some reading time.

        The lighter-weight fiction audiobooks are great for getting through long
        drives and large amounts of housework.

        Jane
      • Mari Dole
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2003
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2003
            I'm partially sighted myself, and so rely on my single eye; I seldom use
            large print, either. Yes, the nose is probably touching the page, but I
            don't care! I suspect if I lost my sight, I'd rely heavily on audio books;
            I've never learned Braille. I tried voice recognition technology once;
            it's very strange. I couldn't seem to get the computer to understand what
            I was saying. I remember the fragment: "Once upon a time . . . " It
            spelled out something totally different.

            I just didn't know the proper terminology for audio books. Thanks for the
            clues. ---djb

            http://mail2web.com/ .