Re: Speaking of Narnia Lamp Posts

  • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 23, 1999
      In a message dated 12/23/99 2:39:28 PM Central Standard Time,
      lisa@... writes:

      > Someone thought Marli
      > was a made up name and Nachoma was an American Indian Name. They are both
      > biblical

      Can we have meanings or derivations, and the place in the Scriptures?

      Ignorant,

      Mary S (who would be Lady Sophia Philologos if she played the SCA reindeer
      games, or is it Philologa?)
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 24, 1999
        At 07:31 PM 12/23/1999 EST, Stolzi@... wrote:
        >From: Stolzi@...
        >
        >In a message dated 12/23/99 2:39:28 PM Central Standard Time,
        >lisa@... writes:
        >
        >> Someone thought Marli
        >> was a made up name and Nachoma was an American Indian Name. They are both
        >> biblical
        >
        >Can we have meanings or derivations, and the place in the Scriptures?

        I don't have any of the original research available right now, so I just did
        a web search. Marli is a variant of Marily which means bitter. Nachoma is a
        variant of Nechama which means comfort. Some variant of both is found in the
        Old Testament according to a better scholar than me in all this. The problem
        with Hebrew is they don't write down the vowels and the vowels change over
        time. Both are legitimate variations. That's what I know and I'm sticking to it.

        Lisa
      • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 25, 1999
          Thanks, Lisa!