RE: [mythsoc] Questions concerning language and Postmodernism

  • bowring
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2003
      I found the following passage in the Journals of Alexander Schmemann.
      Reflecting on the passion in some quarters for courses in "Great Ideas of the
      Western World" he writes:

      “It would be useful to teach a course entitled ‘Great Western Errors,’
      following approximately this plan: Rousseau and ‘Nature,’ with a capital N;
      The Enlightenment and ‘Reason,’ capital R; Hegel and ‘History,’ capital H;
      Marx and ‘Revolution,’ capital R; and finally, Freud and ‘Sex,’ capital
      S—realizing that the main error of each is precisely the capital letter, which
      transforms these words into an idol, into a tragic pars pro toto.”

      The list can be extended: Postmodernism and "Language" with a capital L. In
      other words, the separation of language from its rootedness in both human
      minds and being--that is, from "participation", in Barfield's terms.

      Kevin