Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1324 Aurochs

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
      The last known auroxen was killed in the sixteenth century. >>

      Wow ! Thanks.

      Do you think I could trust what I might find were I to Google around? I'll
      give it a shot.

      According to what I came up with Googling Mexican eagle species, for
      example, the Crested Caracara is the bird depicted on the flag, coinage and
      legends. But the bird shown is all brown and other word of mouth sources
      have said Golden Eagle or similar. Still I think I've heard the Caracara
      in some regard.

      And I took the boys to the library yesterday and suspect they'd just as
      soon we didn't come back for a while.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
        At 04:21 PM 8/5/2003 , Lizzie wrote:

        >Do you think I could trust what I might find were I to Google around?

        No. There is lots of good information on the Web, but the pitfalls of
        trusting any old data you come across this way are too numerous to be
        written in this space, large as it is.

        - David Bratman
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 6, 2003
          In a message dated 8/5/3 11:13:50 PM, Lizzie Triano wrote:

          <<According to what I came up with Googling Mexican eagle species, for
          example, the Crested Caracara is the bird depicted on the flag, coinage and
          legends. But the bird shown is all brown and other word of mouth sources
          have said Golden Eagle or similar. Still I think I've heard the Caracara
          in some regard.>>

          Correct, the bird depicted on the Mexican flag is definitely *not* a
          caracara, but an eagle, represented according to the conventions a European artist
          would follow when portraying an eagle. The bird actually mentioned in the
          foundation story of Tenochtitlan, however, appears to have been a caracara (more
          likely to be seen in the area, and more likely to be eating a snake). The problem
          is that the Nahuatl word _cuauhtli_, which could really be translated "large
          bird of prey", was glossed as _√°guila_ in Spanish, and resulted in artists
          conceiving of the bird in the story as an "eagle" in European terms.
          Alexei