RE: [mythsoc] Re: The Leadership Secrets of Sauron

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
      May I get a little off-topic and recommend "Throwing the Elephant", which is
      kind of about being a hobbit in a world dominated by nasty wizards...which
      reminds me I lent out my copy and need it back!!

      Janet Croft

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
        From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

        > May I get a little off-topic and recommend "Throwing the Elephant", which
        is
        > kind of about being a hobbit in a world dominated by nasty wizards...which
        > reminds me I lent out my copy and need it back!!

        This is a real book? Do you know who it's by? David (Bratman), why don't
        you have a copy of this?

        Berni (It doesn't sound off-topic to me at all.)
      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
          Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up
          by
          <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-autho
          r=Bing%2C%20Stanley/104-4142817-0312708> Stanley Bing (Author)
          A quote from one of the Amazon reviews:

          There is a kind of The Tao of Pooh meets Dilbert and Murphy's Law on the Way
          to Enlightenment, done up with the kind of side bars and shaded boxes and
          cute graphics that one finds in computer learning or "Dummie's" guides
          "feel" to this little gem. The design of the book is gorgeous, and the book
          itself is small enough even in hardcover to fit into a suit jacket pocket,
          should the need arise.

          I need to get my copy back now that my boss is back from vacation... 8^)

          Janet Croft

          > May I get a little off-topic and recommend "Throwing the Elephant", which
          is
          > kind of about being a hobbit in a world dominated by nasty wizards...which
          > reminds me I lent out my copy and need it back!!

          This is a real book? Do you know who it's by? David (Bratman), why don't
          you have a copy of this?

          Berni (It doesn't sound off-topic to me at all.)

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
          27:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=1246b0b92/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
          o?YH=3656190&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=143718425>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Pauline J. Alama
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
            I bet Saruman wrote a Mission Statement for his organization. It's
            essential if you want to lie to yourself about your reasons for doing
            what you do.
            Pauline

            --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Milner" <lizmilner@m...> wrote:
            > The book I need at the moment is "The Hobbit's Guide to Corporate
            > One-upmanship," i.e., a management guide for those who have had it
            thrust
            > upon them. Rule 1, of course, is "Hobbits fight back when they are
            > cornered." Rule 2, I expect, is "When in doubt do lunch." I just
            can't see
            > hobbits wasting their time getting their ducks in a row, writing
            mission
            > statements or engaging in the dreaded "group hug" -- well, maybe in
            the
            > works of Cassie Claire. In my organization, btw, the group hug has
            morphed
            > into the "group grope," a prospect that fills me with horror...
            >
            > On a totally different topic, I'd like to start a experts database,
            so that
            > when I get a request for someone who can teach elvish, or explain
            the
            > history of the society, I'd know exactly who to call. Any takers?
            > -Liz ("Ms. Communications")
            >

            > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • bowring
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
              >===== Original Message From "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...> =====
              >I bet Saruman wrote a Mission Statement for his organization. It's
              >essential if you want to lie to yourself about your reasons for doing
              >what you do.
              >Pauline

              It is also vital that an organization have an Ethics Policy which tells the
              underlings (halflings?) what their obligations are both towards the
              organization and in carrying out the organization's policy to the outside
              world. Likewise there must be a highly trained Ethics Officer (a worm-tongue)
              who will be able to provide a reasoned ethical justification for whatever the
              organization wishes to do; thus providing the grounds for assuming a certain
              moral smuggness while you lie.

              Kevin