Re: [mythsoc] Re: The Leadership Secrets of Sauron

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 3, 2003
      From: "Liz Milner" <lizmilner@...>

      > On a totally different topic, I'd like to start a experts database, so
      that
      > when I get a request for someone who can teach elvish, or explain the
      > history of the society, I'd know exactly who to call. Any takers?

      Not a taker, I, but probably much of that could be solved by the society web
      page. If we don't already have a page with the history of the society, one
      could be put up and linked. (Hubby, this sounds like a good project for
      you, writing it up!) I know there's already a bit about the Elvish
      Linguistic Fellowship up there. Does it list any interested in teaching
      Elvish? I would imagine that not all members of the ELF are interested in
      teaching so maybe just a name or two would suffice -- or maybe your
      requestors should be encouraged to come to next year's Mythcon.

      Berni
    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
        May I get a little off-topic and recommend "Throwing the Elephant", which is
        kind of about being a hobbit in a world dominated by nasty wizards...which
        reminds me I lent out my copy and need it back!!

        Janet Croft

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2003
          From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

          > May I get a little off-topic and recommend "Throwing the Elephant", which
          is
          > kind of about being a hobbit in a world dominated by nasty wizards...which
          > reminds me I lent out my copy and need it back!!

          This is a real book? Do you know who it's by? David (Bratman), why don't
          you have a copy of this?

          Berni (It doesn't sound off-topic to me at all.)
        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
            Throwing the Elephant: Zen and the Art of Managing Up
            by
            <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-autho
            r=Bing%2C%20Stanley/104-4142817-0312708> Stanley Bing (Author)
            A quote from one of the Amazon reviews:

            There is a kind of The Tao of Pooh meets Dilbert and Murphy's Law on the Way
            to Enlightenment, done up with the kind of side bars and shaded boxes and
            cute graphics that one finds in computer learning or "Dummie's" guides
            "feel" to this little gem. The design of the book is gorgeous, and the book
            itself is small enough even in hardcover to fit into a suit jacket pocket,
            should the need arise.

            I need to get my copy back now that my boss is back from vacation... 8^)

            Janet Croft

            > May I get a little off-topic and recommend "Throwing the Elephant", which
            is
            > kind of about being a hobbit in a world dominated by nasty wizards...which
            > reminds me I lent out my copy and need it back!!

            This is a real book? Do you know who it's by? David (Bratman), why don't
            you have a copy of this?

            Berni (It doesn't sound off-topic to me at all.)

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
            27:HM/A=1595054/R=0/SIG=1246b0b92/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogy
            o?YH=3656190&yhad=1595054> Click Here!

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=244522.3656190.4921519.1261774/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1595054/rand=143718425>

            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • Pauline J. Alama
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
              I bet Saruman wrote a Mission Statement for his organization. It's
              essential if you want to lie to yourself about your reasons for doing
              what you do.
              Pauline

              --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, "Liz Milner" <lizmilner@m...> wrote:
              > The book I need at the moment is "The Hobbit's Guide to Corporate
              > One-upmanship," i.e., a management guide for those who have had it
              thrust
              > upon them. Rule 1, of course, is "Hobbits fight back when they are
              > cornered." Rule 2, I expect, is "When in doubt do lunch." I just
              can't see
              > hobbits wasting their time getting their ducks in a row, writing
              mission
              > statements or engaging in the dreaded "group hug" -- well, maybe in
              the
              > works of Cassie Claire. In my organization, btw, the group hug has
              morphed
              > into the "group grope," a prospect that fills me with horror...
              >
              > On a totally different topic, I'd like to start a experts database,
              so that
              > when I get a request for someone who can teach elvish, or explain
              the
              > history of the society, I'd know exactly who to call. Any takers?
              > -Liz ("Ms. Communications")
              >

              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • bowring
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 5, 2003
                >===== Original Message From "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...> =====
                >I bet Saruman wrote a Mission Statement for his organization. It's
                >essential if you want to lie to yourself about your reasons for doing
                >what you do.
                >Pauline

                It is also vital that an organization have an Ethics Policy which tells the
                underlings (halflings?) what their obligations are both towards the
                organization and in carrying out the organization's policy to the outside
                world. Likewise there must be a highly trained Ethics Officer (a worm-tongue)
                who will be able to provide a reasoned ethical justification for whatever the
                organization wishes to do; thus providing the grounds for assuming a certain
                moral smuggness while you lie.

                Kevin