Re: [mythsoc] Agentry

  • Jane Bigelow
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 2:31 PM
      At 03:14 PM 8/1/03 -0700, David B wrote:
      http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

      > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
      > A _good_
      > agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
      > But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
      > To try to sell a book,
      > send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
      > the slushpiles.

      David,

      Surely SFWA knows that the number of editors who will read unagented first
      novels is very low. The last time I looked there were three major
      publishers in the sf/f field who would do so. This is one reason people go
      to the larger sf cons; they hope to meet an editor and get permission to
      send that person a manuscript. I've heard of people who went ahead and
      sent their ms to publishers who said they wouldn't read them and did get a
      reading after all. I sure wouldn't count on that.

      I wish Mary's friend's relative tons of luck--he'll need it.

      Jane