Re: [mythsoc] A mention of the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 3 11:55 AM
      Yay! We're a Prestigious Award! :)

      But I'm amazed that they call DUNE, HARSH MISTRESS, and STRANGER
      "contemporary."

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • pflabaki2
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 4 7:23 PM
        Amazon used to list the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award and the
        annual winners, along with the Hugo, Nebula, etc., on its site a
        few years ago. I haven't checked in quite some time, but I don't
        see why they wouldn't have kept it up.

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, WendellWag@a... wrote:
        > I saw recently what I think is the most mainstream example of
        the acceptance
        > (in the U.S., at least) of the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award as a
        major prize. By
        > "mainstream," I don't mean by the general public (many of
        whom don't read for
        > pleasure at all, and most of those who do don't read science
        fiction or
        > fantasy) or by the academic literary sorts (most of whom don't
        tend to be impressed
        > by the Hugos or the Nebulas, either). I mean the average
        reader of science
        > fiction and fantasy in the U.S. This is in the August 2003 flyer of
        the Science
        > Fiction Book Club.
        >
        > The members of the Science Fiction Book Club are a
        considerably more
        > mainstream group than the people who tend to go to science
        fiction conventions. The
        > average subscriber to the SFBC knows vaguely about cons,
        but has never been to
        > one. They probably also know vaguely about the Hugos and
        the Nebulas. It's a
        > more mainstream group than the subscribers to the science
        fiction magazines
        > also. I suspect that most members of the SFBC have never
        subscribed to a
        > science fiction magazine. About the only way that you could
        communicate with a
        > more mainstream group of science fiction and fantasy readers
        than in the SFBC
        > flyers would be to put up notices in front of every science fiction
        and fantasy
        > section in every bookstore and library in the U.S.
        >
        > In the August 2003 flyer, there's a two-page spread with the
        headlines "The
        > Cream of the Contemporary Crop," "Many are Called but Few
        are Chosen," and
        > "Whether honored with the Hugo, the Nebula, the World
        Fantasy or another
        > prestigious award, the books featured here are some of the
        best science fiction and
        > fantasy the field has to offer." The books featured and the
        awards cited are
        > _American Gods_ by Neil Gaiman (2002 Nebula and 2002
        Hugo), _Ender's War_ by
        > Orson Scott Card (1985-6 Nebulas and 1986-7 Hugos),
        _Darwin's Radio_ by Greg Bear
        > (2000 Nebula), _In the Company of Others_ by Julie E.
        Czerneda (2001 Prix
        > Aurora), _Ship of Fools_ by Richard Paul Russo (2001 Philip
        K. Dick Award), _Dune_
        > by Frank Herbert (1965 Nebula and 1966 Hugo), _Stranger in a
        Strange Land_ by
        > Robert Heinlein (1962 Hugo), _The Moon is a Harsh Mistress_
        by Robert
        > Heinlein (1967 Hugo), and _Lord of Light_ by Roger Zelazny
        (1968 Hugo). In slightly
        > bigger pictures and text, they have _The Dalemark Quartet_ by
        Diana Wynne
        > Jones (1995 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Children's
        Literature) and _The
        > Foundation Trilogy_ by Isaac Asimov (1966 Hugo).
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

      • Pauline J. Alama
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 13 2:56 PM
          Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America's online update also
          listed the Mythopoeic winners.

          Pauline