Re: [mythsoc] Agentry

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      I suggest you inform SFWA of this, because that's not what they say.

      At 04:44 PM 8/1/2003 , Joan wrote:
      >"David S. Bratman" wrote:
      >>
      >> Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
      >> no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.
      >
      >On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
      >unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
      >manuscripts.)
    • Jane Bigelow
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
        At 03:14 PM 8/1/03 -0700, David B wrote:
        http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

        > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
        > A _good_
        > agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
        > But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
        > To try to sell a book,
        > send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
        > the slushpiles.

        David,

        Surely SFWA knows that the number of editors who will read unagented first
        novels is very low. The last time I looked there were three major
        publishers in the sf/f field who would do so. This is one reason people go
        to the larger sf cons; they hope to meet an editor and get permission to
        send that person a manuscript. I've heard of people who went ahead and
        sent their ms to publishers who said they wouldn't read them and did get a
        reading after all. I sure wouldn't count on that.

        I wish Mary's friend's relative tons of luck--he'll need it.

        Jane