Agentry

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      "David S. Bratman" wrote:

      > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
      > no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.

      On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
      unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
      manuscripts.)

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        I suggest you inform SFWA of this, because that's not what they say.

        At 04:44 PM 8/1/2003 , Joan wrote:
        >"David S. Bratman" wrote:
        >>
        >> Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
        >> no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.
        >
        >On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
        >unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
        >manuscripts.)
      • Jane Bigelow
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
          At 03:14 PM 8/1/03 -0700, David B wrote:
          http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

          > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
          > A _good_
          > agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
          > But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
          > To try to sell a book,
          > send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
          > the slushpiles.

          David,

          Surely SFWA knows that the number of editors who will read unagented first
          novels is very low. The last time I looked there were three major
          publishers in the sf/f field who would do so. This is one reason people go
          to the larger sf cons; they hope to meet an editor and get permission to
          send that person a manuscript. I've heard of people who went ahead and
          sent their ms to publishers who said they wouldn't read them and did get a
          reading after all. I sure wouldn't count on that.

          I wish Mary's friend's relative tons of luck--he'll need it.

          Jane