Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
      writes:

      > And if I remember
      > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

      Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
        From: <Stolzi@...>

        > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
        or
        > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
        > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
        >
        > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
        be
        > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
        run
        > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
        Alabama, TN
        > and North or South Carolina folks.

        Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
        air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
        It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
        can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
        be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
        coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
        people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
        Mythcon.

        Berni
      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
          From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

          > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
          > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

          Shades of Hogwarts!

          Berni
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
            In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
            bernip@... writes:

            > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
            > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

            We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
            where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
            holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
            remember).

            Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
            to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
            13) should be with a parent at all times.

            I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
            across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
            hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
            I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
            subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
            the Center.

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Croft, Janet B
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
              I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
              library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
              just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
              since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
              and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
              <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
              the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
              Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

              Janet Croft

              > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

              Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
              27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1