Re: [mythsoc] Agentry

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
      Here's what the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America says about agents:

      http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

      Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
      no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy. A _good_
      agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
      buying. But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
      the editor makes an offer. You can get one then. To try to sell a book,
      send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
      the slushpiles.

      - David Bratman
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
        "David S. Bratman" wrote:

        > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
        > no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.

        On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
        unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
        manuscripts.)

        Joan
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1, 2003
          I suggest you inform SFWA of this, because that's not what they say.

          At 04:44 PM 8/1/2003 , Joan wrote:
          >"David S. Bratman" wrote:
          >>
          >> Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
          >> no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.
          >
          >On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
          >unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
          >manuscripts.)
        • Jane Bigelow
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2003
            At 03:14 PM 8/1/03 -0700, David B wrote:
            http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

            > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
            > A _good_
            > agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
            > But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
            > To try to sell a book,
            > send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
            > the slushpiles.

            David,

            Surely SFWA knows that the number of editors who will read unagented first
            novels is very low. The last time I looked there were three major
            publishers in the sf/f field who would do so. This is one reason people go
            to the larger sf cons; they hope to meet an editor and get permission to
            send that person a manuscript. I've heard of people who went ahead and
            sent their ms to publishers who said they wouldn't read them and did get a
            reading after all. I sure wouldn't count on that.

            I wish Mary's friend's relative tons of luck--he'll need it.

            Jane