Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
      At 01:19 PM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
      >Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
      >seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
      >there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

      "Con on a mountaintop in Tennessee ..." Oh please, don't make me sing a
      variant of the Davy Crockett theme. Please.

      >Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
      >cooler than lower altitudes,

      It certainly worked in Hawaii. We were getting kind of hot and
      uncomfortable down there in Hilo pre-con, and found the cool non-humid
      weather up at Kilauea to be delightfully refreshing.

      - David Bratman
    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
        In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
        writes:

        > And if I remember
        > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

        Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
          From: <Stolzi@...>

          > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
          or
          > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
          > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
          >
          > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
          be
          > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
          run
          > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
          Alabama, TN
          > and North or South Carolina folks.

          Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
          air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
          It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
          can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
          be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
          coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
          people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
          Mythcon.

          Berni
        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
            From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

            > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
            > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

            Shades of Hogwarts!

            Berni
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
              In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
              bernip@... writes:

              > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
              > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

              We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
              where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
              holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
              remember).

              Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
              to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
              13) should be with a parent at all times.

              I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
              across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
              hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
              I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
              subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
              the Center.

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Croft, Janet B
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
                library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
                just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
                since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
                and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
                <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
                the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
                Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

                Janet Croft

                > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1