Agentry

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1 2:15 PM
      My pastor, who was sorry to miss the Mythcon, says he has a priestly
      colleague whose son has written a fantasy story. Likely a full-length book ms; I'm
      unclear on this. He (the colleague) wants to know of a literary agent, or other
      way of getting this story out there.

      Any suggestions? They would be much appreciated.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1 2:54 PM
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > My pastor, who was sorry to miss the Mythcon, says he has a priestly
        > colleague whose son has written a fantasy story. Likely a full-length book ms; I'm
        > unclear on this. He (the colleague) wants to know of a literary agent, or other
        > way of getting this story out there.
        >
        > Any suggestions? They would be much appreciated.

        I have to tell you, it's really, really tough to get agents interested
        in manuscripts nowadays. This isn't just my experience, it is the
        experience of other writers (some with more credits than I have) that I
        have talked to.

        I've been trying to get my fantasy manuscript, Sword of Queens,
        published for years. I actually got an agent and she sent it around to
        publishers. ("Nice work, not for us" was the usual approximate
        response.) In fact, though this agent sent it around in 1999, I JUST
        heard from one publisher last month (even though that agent and I have
        parted). Right now I'm trying to get an agent interested in another
        fantasy manuscript of mine, but so far, I've had no success.

        One can get lists of agents and publishers from Literary Marketplace
        (found in almost every library) and send the manuscript around (or send
        a query). That's not the hard part. The hard part is finding someone who
        will be willing to read and represent a manuscript.

        In my quest for agents, I just happen to have made a set of mailing
        labels with the names and addresses of agents who represent f/sf. If you
        e-mail me privately, I can certainly forward this list to you to pass
        along. But when you do, I recommend adding that it isn't easy to find
        someone interested, even if one has previous publishing credits.

        Joan
        Joan Marie Verba
        verba001@...
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 1 3:14 PM
          Here's what the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America says about agents:

          http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

          Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
          no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy. A _good_
          agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
          buying. But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
          the editor makes an offer. You can get one then. To try to sell a book,
          send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
          the slushpiles.

          - David Bratman
        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 1 4:44 PM
            "David S. Bratman" wrote:

            > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
            > no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.

            On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
            unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
            manuscripts.)

            Joan
            Joan Marie Verba
            verba001@...
          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 1 4:48 PM
              I suggest you inform SFWA of this, because that's not what they say.

              At 04:44 PM 8/1/2003 , Joan wrote:
              >"David S. Bratman" wrote:
              >>
              >> Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
              >> no agent can help you sell a book editors don't want to buy.
              >
              >On the other hand, there are many, many publishers who won't take
              >unagented manuscripts nowadays. (They may take queries, but not
              >manuscripts.)
            • Jane Bigelow
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 3 2:31 PM
                At 03:14 PM 8/1/03 -0700, David B wrote:
                http://www.sfwa.org/writing/agents.htm

                > Bottom line: you don't need an agent to get an editor to buy your book, and
                > A _good_
                > agent can tell you what sorts of things editors, and which editors, are
                > But an agent's main function is to negotiate the contract, after
                > To try to sell a book,
                > send it to editors, who keep insisting they're looking for good stuff in
                > the slushpiles.

                David,

                Surely SFWA knows that the number of editors who will read unagented first
                novels is very low. The last time I looked there were three major
                publishers in the sf/f field who would do so. This is one reason people go
                to the larger sf cons; they hope to meet an editor and get permission to
                send that person a manuscript. I've heard of people who went ahead and
                sent their ms to publishers who said they wouldn't read them and did get a
                reading after all. I sure wouldn't count on that.

                I wish Mary's friend's relative tons of luck--he'll need it.

                Jane