RE: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
      I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
      correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

      Janet

      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
        At 01:19 PM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
        >Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
        >seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
        >there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

        "Con on a mountaintop in Tennessee ..." Oh please, don't make me sing a
        variant of the Davy Crockett theme. Please.

        >Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
        >cooler than lower altitudes,

        It certainly worked in Hawaii. We were getting kind of hot and
        uncomfortable down there in Hilo pre-con, and found the cool non-humid
        weather up at Kilauea to be delightfully refreshing.

        - David Bratman
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
          In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
          writes:

          > And if I remember
          > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

          Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
            From: <Stolzi@...>

            > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
            or
            > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
            > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
            >
            > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
            be
            > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
            run
            > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
            Alabama, TN
            > and North or South Carolina folks.

            Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
            air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
            It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
            can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
            be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
            coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
            people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
            Mythcon.

            Berni
          • Berni Phillips
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
              From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

              > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
              > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

              Shades of Hogwarts!

              Berni
            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
                bernip@... writes:

                > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

                We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
                where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
                holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
                remember).

                Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
                to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
                13) should be with a parent at all times.

                I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
                across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
                hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
                I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
                subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
                the Center.

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • Croft, Janet B
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                  I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
                  library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
                  just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
                  since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
                  and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
                  <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
                  the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
                  Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

                  Janet Croft

                  > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                  Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                  27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1