RE: [mythsoc] More Mythcon Pictures

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
      Amazon is, of course, completely unreliable as a reference source. I
      presume you know that, and perhaps also that Amazon prefers not to list
      books as unavailable unless they know that for sure. Barnes and Noble,
      which is likewise unreliable as a reference source, says "Not Currently
      Available", which covers several possibilities, including just
      out-of-print, but the absence of a cover picture for such a new trade book
      should make one suspicious. Slightly more trustworthy results can be
      obtained by searching the web database of the attributed publishers
      (www.penguinputnam.com, www.prenhall.com) and finding the book not listed
      there.

      - David Bratman

      At 10:00 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
      >Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
      >may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
      >my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
      >on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
      >from).
    • Joan Marie Verba
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
        Stolzi@... wrote:

        > But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie!

        As Susan said, that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy satires of a movie.
        I do running commentary on movies I watch--at home--all the time,
        whether I enjoy the movie or not.

        Joan
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
          In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:24:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
          dbratman@... writes:

          > Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember.

          I have son John's word upon that.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
            From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

            > Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
            > may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
            > my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
            > on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
            > from).
            >
            > JBC

            It'd be nice if there were some consistency in this. I had pre-ordered a
            book from Amazon. I got a notice from them that it was not coming out after
            all -- the same week that other people saw the book in stores. I bought the
            book at Barnes & Noble.

            (The book, BTW, was the best book of essays on Buffy that I've seen so far.
            It's _Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in
            Sunnydale_, part of a series on various aspects of pop culture and
            philosophy. B&N shelved it in their philosophy section. The other Buffy
            essay books are too political for my tastes.)

            Berni
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
              In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:23:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              dbratman@... writes:

              > What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
              > was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
              > fortunately was never published.

              Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
              Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                From: <WendellWag@...>

                > Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                > Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                "Lesson 1: Never give a minion an even break."

                Berni