Speaking of Narnia Lamp Posts

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 22, 1999
      Well, we had two actually. They were actually patio lamp posts which ran on
      propane tanks. We had them set up at SCA Tourneys all the time, with a bumper
      sticker on one of them that said "There's no place like Narnia" for those who
      didn't get it. Most people laughed, some strict constructionists humphed. But we
      were of the oldest school of SCA, the fantasy fans, and ignored them for the
      people who forgot what Creative Anachronist means.

      My device has a unicorns head surrounded by a Star of David. One old style
      harald suggested Marli of Beth Amber for my name. But they changed the rules and
      I wasn't allowed to keep that as my official name because of the Zelaznie (sp?)
      angle. *sigh* You can find me in the registry as Marli bas Nachoma.

      Who Me? With a Strong sense of Fantasy? Nah, can't imagine why an SCAer would
      like that stuff. (Never mind that most of my SCA friends avidly read and write
      the stuff...)

      Lisa
    • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 1999
        In a message dated 12/22/1999 11:40:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        lisa@... writes:

        << I wasn't allowed to keep that as my official name because of the Zelaznie
        (sp?)
        angle. *sigh* >>
        Well that totally stinks! I know who they are talking about and he did NOT
        invent the word Amber or a lot of other thi ngs... just like Tolkien didn't
        invent the term Middle Earth and we all know a lot of his play language is
        real words from languages he studied anyway...

        Lizzie
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 23, 1999
          Well, they didn't like the combination of Beth Amber (which means House of Amber
          in Hebrew) and the Unicorn head. So I changed the official name to keep the
          Unicorn! Most of my friends still stuck "Of Beth Amber" to the end of
          introductions anyway, so in a way it stuck.

          And, yes, they were being pills, because they were desperately trying to deny
          the Fantasy aspect of the group. And we know that Unicorns and the House of
          Amber will not look like a proper "Educational" slant on things. They even
          disputed my final name by getting all the Hebrew history of names wrong, and I
          had to fight for a real medieval hebrew name construction! Someone thought Marli
          was a made up name and Nachoma was an American Indian Name. They are both
          biblical. Yep, definite, uninformed pills.

          In fact, we soon left because they were losing the magic and fun of being a
          Creative Anachronist.

          Lisa, aka Marli Bas Nachoma (of Beth Amber), aka Auntie M (now a fannish
          nickname)

        • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 1999
            In a message dated 12/23/99 2:39:28 PM Central Standard Time,
            lisa@... writes:

            > Someone thought Marli
            > was a made up name and Nachoma was an American Indian Name. They are both
            > biblical

            Can we have meanings or derivations, and the place in the Scriptures?

            Ignorant,

            Mary S (who would be Lady Sophia Philologos if she played the SCA reindeer
            games, or is it Philologa?)
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 24, 1999
              At 07:31 PM 12/23/1999 EST, Stolzi@... wrote:
              >From: Stolzi@...
              >
              >In a message dated 12/23/99 2:39:28 PM Central Standard Time,
              >lisa@... writes:
              >
              >> Someone thought Marli
              >> was a made up name and Nachoma was an American Indian Name. They are both
              >> biblical
              >
              >Can we have meanings or derivations, and the place in the Scriptures?

              I don't have any of the original research available right now, so I just did
              a web search. Marli is a variant of Marily which means bitter. Nachoma is a
              variant of Nechama which means comfort. Some variant of both is found in the
              Old Testament according to a better scholar than me in all this. The problem
              with Hebrew is they don't write down the vowels and the vowels change over
              time. Both are legitimate variations. That's what I know and I'm sticking to it.

              Lisa
            • Stolzi@xxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 25, 1999
                Thanks, Lisa!