RE: [mythsoc] More Mythcon Pictures

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
      Bound galleys of the book do exist - I have one - so the libraries might
      have received and cataloged those. Or, it could be a CIP
      (cataloging-in-publication) record [though apparently not in this case]).
      Or, a pre-order record that was never filled. (RLIN, the other main
      library system, sometimes lists those.) Or just an accidental ghost
      record. Or more than one of the above. The library databases are not
      entirely reliable as to whether a book exists, still less as to whether it
      was published - ghost CIP records of books that were never published,
      especially from the infamous late Borgo Press, are all over the place.

      - David Bratman

      At 09:24 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
      >I thought that was published? "The 12 Rings of Leadership" by Joe Tye,
      >listed on WorldCat as owned by 3 libraries.
      >
      >Janet Croft
      >
      >What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
      >was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
      >fortunately was never published.
    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
        Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
        may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
        my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
        on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
        from).

        JBC

        Bound galleys of the book do exist - I have one - so the libraries might
        have received and cataloged those. Or, it could be a CIP
        (cataloging-in-publication) record [though apparently not in this case]).
        Or, a pre-order record that was never filled. (RLIN, the other main
        library system, sometimes lists those.) Or just an accidental ghost
        record. Or more than one of the above. The library databases are not
        entirely reliable as to whether a book exists, still less as to whether it
        was published - ghost CIP records of books that were never published,
        especially from the infamous late Borgo Press, are all over the place.

        - David Bratman

        At 09:24 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
        >I thought that was published? "The 12 Rings of Leadership" by Joe Tye,
        >listed on WorldCat as owned by 3 libraries.
        >
        >Janet Croft
        >
        >What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
        >was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
        >fortunately was never published.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
        374-105951838331032> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=866230551>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • juliet@firinn.org
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
          On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:24:00AM -0700, David S. Bratman wrote:
          > >Hugo Weaving had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
          > >of Elrond
          >
          > with "Mr. Baggins" instead of "Mr. Anderson," of course.
          >
          > Blending his Elrond with his Agent Smith is a joke that's been made fairly
          > often, and I'm faintly puzzled as to why. I didn't see "The Matrix" until
          > long after I saw "Fellowship," but now that I have, I don't see how they're
          > particularly similar in looks or style, as far as two characters played by
          > the same, fairly distinctive, actor go. I mean, I haven't seen any jokes
          > comparing Saruman to previous Christopher Lee characters, for instance.
          > Perhaps it's because these are the only roles people have seen Weaving in?

          I've seen reviews blending Christopher Lee's Saruman and Count Dooku,
          and I think the Agent Smith/Elrond similarity is most obvious to those
          of us who've seen The Matrix several times and have auditorily-centered
          memories. If you close your eyes, a few of his turns of speech are exactly
          the same. And if you've heard Hugo Weaving speak in an interview, you'll
          know that when out of character he has a strong British/Australian accent,
          so it's not just that that's how he naturally says those words.

          The review in which Saruman and Count Dooku were frequently confused
          lampooned the fact that Saruman and Gandalf's scene in PJ-FOTR was turned
          into a Star Wars style invitation to come to the power of the Dark Side,
          and I think the reviewer threw in a bit of Harry Potter at some point too.
          Not having seen either Harry Potter movie yet (I know, shame on me! I
          have two kids under 3 and another on the way, so babysitting is at a premium.)
          I can't say for sure. If anyone's interested in actually reading the
          review, I'll hunt it down.

          Julie
          tur
        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
            Amazon is, of course, completely unreliable as a reference source. I
            presume you know that, and perhaps also that Amazon prefers not to list
            books as unavailable unless they know that for sure. Barnes and Noble,
            which is likewise unreliable as a reference source, says "Not Currently
            Available", which covers several possibilities, including just
            out-of-print, but the absence of a cover picture for such a new trade book
            should make one suspicious. Slightly more trustworthy results can be
            obtained by searching the web database of the attributed publishers
            (www.penguinputnam.com, www.prenhall.com) and finding the book not listed
            there.

            - David Bratman

            At 10:00 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
            >Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
            >may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
            >my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
            >on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
            >from).
          • Joan Marie Verba
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
              Stolzi@... wrote:

              > But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie!

              As Susan said, that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy satires of a movie.
              I do running commentary on movies I watch--at home--all the time,
              whether I enjoy the movie or not.

              Joan
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:24:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
                dbratman@... writes:

                > Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember.

                I have son John's word upon that.

                Diamond Proudbrook

              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                  From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                  > Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                  > may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                  > my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                  > on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                  > from).
                  >
                  > JBC

                  It'd be nice if there were some consistency in this. I had pre-ordered a
                  book from Amazon. I got a notice from them that it was not coming out after
                  all -- the same week that other people saw the book in stores. I bought the
                  book at Barnes & Noble.

                  (The book, BTW, was the best book of essays on Buffy that I've seen so far.
                  It's _Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in
                  Sunnydale_, part of a series on various aspects of pop culture and
                  philosophy. B&N shelved it in their philosophy section. The other Buffy
                  essay books are too political for my tastes.)

                  Berni
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                    In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:23:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    dbratman@... writes:

                    > What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                    > was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                    > fortunately was never published.

                    Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                    Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                      From: <WendellWag@...>

                      > Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                      > Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                      "Lesson 1: Never give a minion an even break."

                      Berni