Re: [mythsoc] More Mythcon Pictures

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 7/31/2003 7:58:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
      dbratman@... writes:

      > The Ring is round at one end, round again in the middle, and round
      > at the other end

      But I hope you know, David, what is round at both ends and high in the
      middle.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
        At 07:17 AM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:

        >But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie! Those who passionately didn't -
        >notably Bratman and a few others

        For the Nth time, I don't hate the movie. I enjoyed the movie; I gave it a
        "B" grade as a movie. What I hate is what it did to Tolkien's story.

        >Grace had her moment for "Sieg Heil!" when the figures of the Kings showed
        up,
        >extending their hands;

        I think that at that point someone started to sing "Stop in the Name of
        Love," a joke previously essayed by Ellie Farrell.

        >Hugo Weaving had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
        >of Elrond

        with "Mr. Baggins" instead of "Mr. Anderson," of course.

        Blending his Elrond with his Agent Smith is a joke that's been made fairly
        often, and I'm faintly puzzled as to why. I didn't see "The Matrix" until
        long after I saw "Fellowship," but now that I have, I don't see how they're
        particularly similar in looks or style, as far as two characters played by
        the same, fairly distinctive, actor go. I mean, I haven't seen any jokes
        comparing Saruman to previous Christopher Lee characters, for instance.
        Perhaps it's because these are the only roles people have seen Weaving in?

        >But it was perhaps Emily Rauscher who highlighted the evening. The second
        >time we saw the Ring gleaming at us in somebody's palm, she commented
        >puckishly
        >"It's still round!" I mean, what else is there to say about it? After
        that,
        >son John and others took it up and every time that dinged Ring reappeared -
        >"It's still round!"

        Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember. That became the theme
        comment of the evening, and even made it into the Drunken Hobbit song at
        closing ceremonies.

        - David Bratman
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
          At 07:17 AM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:

          >Mike's toss of a Devotional Book Based on Tolkien (yes, really!) led me to
          >invent "Prochristean" and "Prochristeanism," for writers who chop or stretch
          >other writers in Procrustean fashion to make them fit into a religious
          >framework.

          There are actually several devotional books based on Tolkien that have come
          out in recent years. I don't find any of them particularly procrustean.
          They're actually pretty reasonable and make sense in context, including the
          one Mike tossed. What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
          was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
          fortunately was never published.

          - David Bratman
        • Croft, Janet B
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
            I thought that was published? "The 12 Rings of Leadership" by Joe Tye,
            listed on WorldCat as owned by 3 libraries.

            Janet Croft

            What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
            was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
            fortunately was never published.

            - David Bratman

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
            27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
            374-105951838331032> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
            l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=479779016>

            <http://www.mythsoc.org>

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • David S. Bratman
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
              Bound galleys of the book do exist - I have one - so the libraries might
              have received and cataloged those. Or, it could be a CIP
              (cataloging-in-publication) record [though apparently not in this case]).
              Or, a pre-order record that was never filled. (RLIN, the other main
              library system, sometimes lists those.) Or just an accidental ghost
              record. Or more than one of the above. The library databases are not
              entirely reliable as to whether a book exists, still less as to whether it
              was published - ghost CIP records of books that were never published,
              especially from the infamous late Borgo Press, are all over the place.

              - David Bratman

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                from).

                JBC

                Bound galleys of the book do exist - I have one - so the libraries might
                have received and cataloged those. Or, it could be a CIP
                (cataloging-in-publication) record [though apparently not in this case]).
                Or, a pre-order record that was never filled. (RLIN, the other main
                library system, sometimes lists those.) Or just an accidental ghost
                record. Or more than one of the above. The library databases are not
                entirely reliable as to whether a book exists, still less as to whether it
                was published - ghost CIP records of books that were never published,
                especially from the infamous late Borgo Press, are all over the place.

                - David Bratman

                At 09:24 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
                >I thought that was published? "The 12 Rings of Leadership" by Joe Tye,
                >listed on WorldCat as owned by 3 libraries.
                >
                >Janet Croft
                >
                >What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                >was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                >fortunately was never published.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
                374-105951838331032> click here

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
                l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=866230551>

              • juliet@firinn.org
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                  On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:24:00AM -0700, David S. Bratman wrote:
                  > >Hugo Weaving had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
                  > >of Elrond
                  >
                  > with "Mr. Baggins" instead of "Mr. Anderson," of course.
                  >
                  > Blending his Elrond with his Agent Smith is a joke that's been made fairly
                  > often, and I'm faintly puzzled as to why. I didn't see "The Matrix" until
                  > long after I saw "Fellowship," but now that I have, I don't see how they're
                  > particularly similar in looks or style, as far as two characters played by
                  > the same, fairly distinctive, actor go. I mean, I haven't seen any jokes
                  > comparing Saruman to previous Christopher Lee characters, for instance.
                  > Perhaps it's because these are the only roles people have seen Weaving in?

                  I've seen reviews blending Christopher Lee's Saruman and Count Dooku,
                  and I think the Agent Smith/Elrond similarity is most obvious to those
                  of us who've seen The Matrix several times and have auditorily-centered
                  memories. If you close your eyes, a few of his turns of speech are exactly
                  the same. And if you've heard Hugo Weaving speak in an interview, you'll
                  know that when out of character he has a strong British/Australian accent,
                  so it's not just that that's how he naturally says those words.

                  The review in which Saruman and Count Dooku were frequently confused
                  lampooned the fact that Saruman and Gandalf's scene in PJ-FOTR was turned
                  into a Star Wars style invitation to come to the power of the Dark Side,
                  and I think the reviewer threw in a bit of Harry Potter at some point too.
                  Not having seen either Harry Potter movie yet (I know, shame on me! I
                  have two kids under 3 and another on the way, so babysitting is at a premium.)
                  I can't say for sure. If anyone's interested in actually reading the
                  review, I'll hunt it down.

                  Julie
                  tur
                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                    Amazon is, of course, completely unreliable as a reference source. I
                    presume you know that, and perhaps also that Amazon prefers not to list
                    books as unavailable unless they know that for sure. Barnes and Noble,
                    which is likewise unreliable as a reference source, says "Not Currently
                    Available", which covers several possibilities, including just
                    out-of-print, but the absence of a cover picture for such a new trade book
                    should make one suspicious. Slightly more trustworthy results can be
                    obtained by searching the web database of the attributed publishers
                    (www.penguinputnam.com, www.prenhall.com) and finding the book not listed
                    there.

                    - David Bratman

                    At 10:00 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
                    >Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                    >may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                    >my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                    >on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                    >from).
                  • Joan Marie Verba
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                      Stolzi@... wrote:

                      > But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie!

                      As Susan said, that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy satires of a movie.
                      I do running commentary on movies I watch--at home--all the time,
                      whether I enjoy the movie or not.

                      Joan
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                        In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:24:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
                        dbratman@... writes:

                        > Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember.

                        I have son John's word upon that.

                        Diamond Proudbrook

                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                          From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                          > Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                          > may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                          > my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                          > on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                          > from).
                          >
                          > JBC

                          It'd be nice if there were some consistency in this. I had pre-ordered a
                          book from Amazon. I got a notice from them that it was not coming out after
                          all -- the same week that other people saw the book in stores. I bought the
                          book at Barnes & Noble.

                          (The book, BTW, was the best book of essays on Buffy that I've seen so far.
                          It's _Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in
                          Sunnydale_, part of a series on various aspects of pop culture and
                          philosophy. B&N shelved it in their philosophy section. The other Buffy
                          essay books are too political for my tastes.)

                          Berni
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                            In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:23:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                            dbratman@... writes:

                            > What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                            > was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                            > fortunately was never published.

                            Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                            Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                          • Berni Phillips
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                              From: <WendellWag@...>

                              > Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                              > Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                              "Lesson 1: Never give a minion an even break."

                              Berni