Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
      In a message dated 7/31/2003 10:17:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
      > New York City area would be too expensive.

      The Lewis symposium was charging people $250, all included, for a slightly
      less long period than ours (no Monday morning). We (here) charged $240 for
      room and board plus a reg fee varying from $45-$70. (and $40 for students)

      So, unless Immaculate Conception was not supplying meals... it's a good rate.
      I might fwd these two messages along to Heren Istarion and see what they say.

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • Stolzi@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
        Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
        seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
        there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

        Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
        cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could run
        it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the Alabama, TN
        and North or South Carolina folks.

        BTW we did check with Nashville campuses (campi?) such as Belmont, but they
        don't do the summer-conference thing with their buildings. Maybe U of the
        South Sewanee does?

        MacPhersons? Are you here? And if you're not on the MythSoc list, why not?
        :)

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Croft, Janet B
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
          I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
          correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

          Janet

[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
          27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
          374-105951838331032> click here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
          l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=416455495>

          <http://www.mythsoc.org>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • David S. Bratman
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
            At 01:19 PM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
            >Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
            >seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
            >there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

            "Con on a mountaintop in Tennessee ..." Oh please, don't make me sing a
            variant of the Davy Crockett theme. Please.

            >Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
            >cooler than lower altitudes,

            It certainly worked in Hawaii. We were getting kind of hot and
            uncomfortable down there in Hilo pre-con, and found the cool non-humid
            weather up at Kilauea to be delightfully refreshing.

            - David Bratman
          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
              In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
              writes:

              > And if I remember
              > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

              Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                From: <Stolzi@...>

                > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
                or
                > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
                >
                > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
                be
                > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
                run
                > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
                Alabama, TN
                > and North or South Carolina folks.

                Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
                air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
                It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
                can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
                be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
                coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
                Mythcon.

                Berni
              • Berni Phillips
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                  From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                  > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                  > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                  Shades of Hogwarts!

                  Berni
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    bernip@... writes:

                    > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                    > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

                    We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
                    where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
                    holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
                    remember).

                    Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
                    to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
                    13) should be with a parent at all times.

                    I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
                    across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
                    hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
                    I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
                    subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
                    the Center.

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                  • Croft, Janet B
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                      I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
                      library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
                      just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
                      since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
                      and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
                      <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
                      the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
                      Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

                      Janet Croft

                      > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                      Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                      27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1