More Mythcon Pictures

  • Joan Marie Verba
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2003
      Stolzi@... wrote:

      >and also a pic of the crowd on Saturday
      > night in the film lounge, intent on eviscerating Peter Jackson's LOTR ("MST3K
      > meets FOTR")

      Ooooh! That sounds fun! Wish I'd been there!

      Joan
      Joan Marie Verba
      verba001@...
    • David S. Bratman
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 31, 2003
        At 05:34 PM 7/31/2003 , Joan wrote:
        >Stolzi@... wrote:
        >>
        >>and also a pic of the crowd on Saturday
        >> night in the film lounge, intent on eviscerating Peter Jackson's LOTR
        ("MST3K
        >> meets FOTR")
        >
        >Ooooh! That sounds fun! Wish I'd been there!

        Let's see if I can recall any of this. (It was late at night, very very late.)

        Every time Frodo pulls out the Ring and lays it in his hand (a foolish way
        to hold such a slippery item), we would say, "Yep, it's still round." At
        one point this was elaborated into: "My theory about the Ring, which is
        mine. The Ring is round at one end, round again in the middle, and round
        at the other end." (Monty Python reference.)

        During the Council of Elrond sequence, we would shout out the species of
        the character shown in each shot. "Elf! Dwarf! Man! Wizard! Elf! Wizard!"
        For some unaccountable reason, I found this hysterically funny.

        When Bilbo was about to bug out, we egged him on, and cheered when he
        finally did it.

        I tried to call the chase to the Ford as a horse race, but I'm no good at
        calling horse races.

        Pippin's "Pints? It comes in pints?" line got ribbed a bit; a view of a
        lush field of grass led to a "Kilos? It comes in kilos?" from Tristan.

        The Watcher in the Water was requested not to play with his food.

        Bilbo has a line - I think it's only in the extended version, for I didn't
        recall having heard it before, and I'd only seen the extended edition once
        before - about how the Bagginses have always lived in Bag End. This
        prompted me to reply, "There's always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort
        Farm," which led to several other "Cold Comfort Farm" references, most
        inevitably several repetitions of "There's something nasty in the woodshed."

        Strangely, I don't recall any "Bored of the Rings" lines being used.

        - David Bratman
      • Joan Marie Verba
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 31, 2003
          "David S. Bratman" wrote:

          > >>and also a pic of the crowd on Saturday
          > >> night in the film lounge, intent on eviscerating Peter Jackson's LOTR
          > ("MST3K
          > >> meets FOTR")
          > >
          > >Ooooh! That sounds fun! Wish I'd been there!
          >
          > Let's see if I can recall any of this. (It was late at night, very very late.)

          [Fun stuff snipped.]

          Thanks!

          Repeat: Ooooh! That sounds fun! Wish I'd been there!

          Joan
          Joan Marie Verba
          verba001@...
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 31, 2003
            In a message dated 7/31/2003 8:58:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            dbratman@... writes:

            > Strangely, I don't recall any "Bored of the Rings" lines being used.

            When the balrog first appeared, I said, "It's the dreaded ballhog. 7' 2" it
            stands. As it walks, it dribbles. Across its chest in cruel runes is written
            the evil word "Villanova".

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
              In a message dated 7/31/2003 7:32:31 PM Central Daylight Time,
              verba001@... writes:

              > >and also a pic of the crowd on Saturday
              > > night in the film lounge, intent on eviscerating Peter Jackson's LOTR
              > ("MST3K
              > > meets FOTR")
              >
              > Ooooh! That sounds fun! Wish I'd been there!

              "It would have much amazed you" - Hamlet

              But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie! Those who passionately didn't -
              notably Bratman and a few others - were making scathing critical comments on
              script and film-making, PLUS the rest of us were doing our best to throw in
              lines and asides, MST3K style.

              I didn't think I said anything terribly funny myself, but was fond of my
              real-estate-ad when the ruined building on Weathertop showed up - "Needs work."
              Grace had her moment for "Sieg Heil!" when the figures of the Kings showed up,
              extending their hands; and when Frodo comes across the huge sculptured head
              she said (naturally) "It's Teddy Roosevelt!"

              Hugo Weaver had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
              of Elrond (we had the original sound turned way down).

              We also started a drinking game - well, not really, as there's no booze
              allowed at the Sackville-Baggins center - but whenever Elijah Wood shows viewers
              that Haunted Stare again, we would chorus "Drink!!!" One could get through a
              lot of drinks that way.

              But it was perhaps Emily Rauscher who highlighted the evening. The second
              time we saw the Ring gleaming at us in somebody's palm, she commented puckishly
              "It's still round!" I mean, what else is there to say about it? After that,
              son John and others took it up and every time that dinged Ring reappeared -
              "It's still round!"

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                Another event of the Con was the beginning of

                The Mythopoeic Society Manual of Literary Criticism. This started,
                naturally, during the MFA Awards Discussion, combined this year with the Annual Book
                Toss.

                Edith Crowe mentioned the "Numinosity Meter" by which she always grades the
                books she reads for the award.

                Later, in discussing one of the scholarly books (I think it was) she uttered
                the words "verges on turgid." We all loved this, some suggesting it might
                make a good name for a rock band. Then I suggested that we need a Turgidometer
                as well as a Numinosity Meter (does it measure things as having so many
                "numinos"?)

                Mike's toss of a Devotional Book Based on Tolkien (yes, really!) led me to
                invent "Prochristean" and "Prochristeanism," for writers who chop or stretch
                other writers in Procrustean fashion to make them fit into a religious framework.

                So obviously we have the foundation for our Manual and glossary in place!

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Stolzi@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/31/2003 7:58:09 PM Central Daylight Time,
                  dbratman@... writes:

                  > The Ring is round at one end, round again in the middle, and round
                  > at the other end

                  But I hope you know, David, what is round at both ends and high in the
                  middle.

                  Diamond Proudbrook

                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                    At 07:17 AM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:

                    >But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie! Those who passionately didn't -
                    >notably Bratman and a few others

                    For the Nth time, I don't hate the movie. I enjoyed the movie; I gave it a
                    "B" grade as a movie. What I hate is what it did to Tolkien's story.

                    >Grace had her moment for "Sieg Heil!" when the figures of the Kings showed
                    up,
                    >extending their hands;

                    I think that at that point someone started to sing "Stop in the Name of
                    Love," a joke previously essayed by Ellie Farrell.

                    >Hugo Weaving had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
                    >of Elrond

                    with "Mr. Baggins" instead of "Mr. Anderson," of course.

                    Blending his Elrond with his Agent Smith is a joke that's been made fairly
                    often, and I'm faintly puzzled as to why. I didn't see "The Matrix" until
                    long after I saw "Fellowship," but now that I have, I don't see how they're
                    particularly similar in looks or style, as far as two characters played by
                    the same, fairly distinctive, actor go. I mean, I haven't seen any jokes
                    comparing Saruman to previous Christopher Lee characters, for instance.
                    Perhaps it's because these are the only roles people have seen Weaving in?

                    >But it was perhaps Emily Rauscher who highlighted the evening. The second
                    >time we saw the Ring gleaming at us in somebody's palm, she commented
                    >puckishly
                    >"It's still round!" I mean, what else is there to say about it? After
                    that,
                    >son John and others took it up and every time that dinged Ring reappeared -
                    >"It's still round!"

                    Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember. That became the theme
                    comment of the evening, and even made it into the Drunken Hobbit song at
                    closing ceremonies.

                    - David Bratman
                  • David S. Bratman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                      At 07:17 AM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:

                      >Mike's toss of a Devotional Book Based on Tolkien (yes, really!) led me to
                      >invent "Prochristean" and "Prochristeanism," for writers who chop or stretch
                      >other writers in Procrustean fashion to make them fit into a religious
                      >framework.

                      There are actually several devotional books based on Tolkien that have come
                      out in recent years. I don't find any of them particularly procrustean.
                      They're actually pretty reasonable and make sense in context, including the
                      one Mike tossed. What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                      was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                      fortunately was never published.

                      - David Bratman
                    • Croft, Janet B
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                        I thought that was published? "The 12 Rings of Leadership" by Joe Tye,
                        listed on WorldCat as owned by 3 libraries.

                        Janet Croft

                        What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                        was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                        fortunately was never published.

                        - David Bratman

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                        27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
                        374-105951838331032> click here

                        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
                        l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=479779016>

                        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • David S. Bratman
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                          Bound galleys of the book do exist - I have one - so the libraries might
                          have received and cataloged those. Or, it could be a CIP
                          (cataloging-in-publication) record [though apparently not in this case]).
                          Or, a pre-order record that was never filled. (RLIN, the other main
                          library system, sometimes lists those.) Or just an accidental ghost
                          record. Or more than one of the above. The library databases are not
                          entirely reliable as to whether a book exists, still less as to whether it
                          was published - ghost CIP records of books that were never published,
                          especially from the infamous late Borgo Press, are all over the place.

                          - David Bratman

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                            Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                            may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                            my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                            on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                            from).

                            JBC

                            Bound galleys of the book do exist - I have one - so the libraries might
                            have received and cataloged those. Or, it could be a CIP
                            (cataloging-in-publication) record [though apparently not in this case]).
                            Or, a pre-order record that was never filled. (RLIN, the other main
                            library system, sometimes lists those.) Or just an accidental ghost
                            record. Or more than one of the above. The library databases are not
                            entirely reliable as to whether a book exists, still less as to whether it
                            was published - ghost CIP records of books that were never published,
                            especially from the infamous late Borgo Press, are all over the place.

                            - David Bratman

                            At 09:24 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
                            >I thought that was published? "The 12 Rings of Leadership" by Joe Tye,
                            >listed on WorldCat as owned by 3 libraries.
                            >
                            >Janet Croft
                            >
                            >What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                            >was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                            >fortunately was never published.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                            27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
                            374-105951838331032> click here

                            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
                            l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=866230551>

                          • juliet@firinn.org
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                              On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 09:24:00AM -0700, David S. Bratman wrote:
                              > >Hugo Weaving had his lines from THE MATRIX supplied to him during the Council
                              > >of Elrond
                              >
                              > with "Mr. Baggins" instead of "Mr. Anderson," of course.
                              >
                              > Blending his Elrond with his Agent Smith is a joke that's been made fairly
                              > often, and I'm faintly puzzled as to why. I didn't see "The Matrix" until
                              > long after I saw "Fellowship," but now that I have, I don't see how they're
                              > particularly similar in looks or style, as far as two characters played by
                              > the same, fairly distinctive, actor go. I mean, I haven't seen any jokes
                              > comparing Saruman to previous Christopher Lee characters, for instance.
                              > Perhaps it's because these are the only roles people have seen Weaving in?

                              I've seen reviews blending Christopher Lee's Saruman and Count Dooku,
                              and I think the Agent Smith/Elrond similarity is most obvious to those
                              of us who've seen The Matrix several times and have auditorily-centered
                              memories. If you close your eyes, a few of his turns of speech are exactly
                              the same. And if you've heard Hugo Weaving speak in an interview, you'll
                              know that when out of character he has a strong British/Australian accent,
                              so it's not just that that's how he naturally says those words.

                              The review in which Saruman and Count Dooku were frequently confused
                              lampooned the fact that Saruman and Gandalf's scene in PJ-FOTR was turned
                              into a Star Wars style invitation to come to the power of the Dark Side,
                              and I think the reviewer threw in a bit of Harry Potter at some point too.
                              Not having seen either Harry Potter movie yet (I know, shame on me! I
                              have two kids under 3 and another on the way, so babysitting is at a premium.)
                              I can't say for sure. If anyone's interested in actually reading the
                              review, I'll hunt it down.

                              Julie
                              tur
                            • David S. Bratman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                                Amazon is, of course, completely unreliable as a reference source. I
                                presume you know that, and perhaps also that Amazon prefers not to list
                                books as unavailable unless they know that for sure. Barnes and Noble,
                                which is likewise unreliable as a reference source, says "Not Currently
                                Available", which covers several possibilities, including just
                                out-of-print, but the absence of a cover picture for such a new trade book
                                should make one suspicious. Slightly more trustworthy results can be
                                obtained by searching the web database of the attributed publishers
                                (www.penguinputnam.com, www.prenhall.com) and finding the book not listed
                                there.

                                - David Bratman

                                At 10:00 AM 8/1/2003 , Janet wrote:
                                >Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                                >may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                                >my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                                >on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                                >from).
                              • Joan Marie Verba
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                                  Stolzi@... wrote:

                                  > But Joan, I thought you =liked= the movie!

                                  As Susan said, that doesn't mean I don't also enjoy satires of a movie.
                                  I do running commentary on movies I watch--at home--all the time,
                                  whether I enjoy the movie or not.

                                  Joan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                                    In a message dated 8/1/2003 11:24:14 AM Central Daylight Time,
                                    dbratman@... writes:

                                    > Was it Emily who started that? I couldn't remember.

                                    I have son John's word upon that.

                                    Diamond Proudbrook

                                  • Berni Phillips
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 1, 2003
                                      From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                                      > Well, Amazon lists it as available for purchase in hardcover. That may or
                                      > may not mean it actually IS available. I don't particularly want to waste
                                      > my money finding out (although I would take a look at it if I could get it
                                      > on ILL, but only one of the libraries listed is someone we could borrow
                                      > from).
                                      >
                                      > JBC

                                      It'd be nice if there were some consistency in this. I had pre-ordered a
                                      book from Amazon. I got a notice from them that it was not coming out after
                                      all -- the same week that other people saw the book in stores. I bought the
                                      book at Barnes & Noble.

                                      (The book, BTW, was the best book of essays on Buffy that I've seen so far.
                                      It's _Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in
                                      Sunnydale_, part of a series on various aspects of pop culture and
                                      philosophy. B&N shelved it in their philosophy section. The other Buffy
                                      essay books are too political for my tastes.)

                                      Berni
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                                        In a message dated 8/1/2003 12:23:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                        dbratman@... writes:

                                        > What really stretched Tolkien to make him fit a framework
                                        > was the abortive attempt at a "Leadership secrets of LOTR" book, which
                                        > fortunately was never published.

                                        Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                                        Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                                      • Berni Phillips
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 2, 2003
                                          From: <WendellWag@...>

                                          > Now, _The Leadership Secrets of Sauron_ or _The Leadership Secrets of
                                          > Saruman_, that would make a plausible management book.

                                          "Lesson 1: Never give a minion an even break."

                                          Berni