RE: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

  • Croft, Janet B
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
      groan...

      Janet

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Stolzi@... [mailto:Stolzi@...]
      Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 4:14 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

      >Immaculate Conception Center

      And that year, I suppose, we'd be the "MythConCeption."

      Diamond Proudbrook

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
      27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
      374-105951838331032> click here

      <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
      l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=209681615>

      <http://www.mythsoc.org>

      <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
        From: <alexeik@...>

        > In a message dated 7/31/3 2:18:38 AM, Mary wrote:
        >
        > <<What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
        > Midtown
        > and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.

        > Also a very short distance from where I live, so it would definitely get
        my
        > vote.

        Ah, but would it get you on the committee? That's the heart of the matter.
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
          In a message dated 7/30/2003 10:18:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
          Stolzi@... writes:

          > She mentioned to me that the site, the Immaculate Conception Center in
          > Douglaston, Queens, New York, might be something to think about for a
          > Mythcon.
          >
          > What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
          > Midtown
          > and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.
          >
          > I offer this possibility to those who might be interested in throwing a New
          > York Mythcon at some later date. (Sounds like fun!)

          I asked the couple from the New York Tolkien Society if they would consider
          doing a Mythcon where they live in Staten Island. They said that while there
          were places there that would make good Mythcon sites, they would be too
          expensive. In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
          New York City area would be too expensive.

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
            In a message dated 7/31/2003 10:17:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
            WendellWag@... writes:

            > In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
            > New York City area would be too expensive.

            The Lewis symposium was charging people $250, all included, for a slightly
            less long period than ours (no Monday morning). We (here) charged $240 for
            room and board plus a reg fee varying from $45-$70. (and $40 for students)

            So, unless Immaculate Conception was not supplying meals... it's a good rate.
            I might fwd these two messages along to Heren Istarion and see what they say.

            Diamond Proudbrook

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
              Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
              seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
              there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

              Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
              cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could run
              it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the Alabama, TN
              and North or South Carolina folks.

              BTW we did check with Nashville campuses (campi?) such as Belmont, but they
              don't do the summer-conference thing with their buildings. Maybe U of the
              South Sewanee does?

              MacPhersons? Are you here? And if you're not on the MythSoc list, why not?
              :)

              Diamond Proudbrook
            • Croft, Janet B
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                Janet

[...]

                l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=416455495>

                <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              • David S. Bratman
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                  At 01:19 PM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
                  >Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
                  >seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                  >there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

                  "Con on a mountaintop in Tennessee ..." Oh please, don't make me sing a
                  variant of the Davy Crockett theme. Please.

                  >Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
                  >cooler than lower altitudes,

                  It certainly worked in Hawaii. We were getting kind of hot and
                  uncomfortable down there in Hilo pre-con, and found the cool non-humid
                  weather up at Kilauea to be delightfully refreshing.

                  - David Bratman
                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                    In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
                    writes:

                    > And if I remember
                    > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                    Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                  • Berni Phillips
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                      From: <Stolzi@...>

                      > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
                      or
                      > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                      > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
                      >
                      > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
                      be
                      > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
                      run
                      > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
                      Alabama, TN
                      > and North or South Carolina folks.

                      Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
                      air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
                      It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
                      can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
                      be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
                      coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                      people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
                      Mythcon.

                      Berni
                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                        From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                        > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                        > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                        Shades of Hogwarts!

                        Berni
                      • Stolzi@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1, 2003
                          In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
                          bernip@... writes:

                          > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                          > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

                          We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
                          where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
                          holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
                          remember).

                          Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
                          to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
                          13) should be with a parent at all times.

                          I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
                          across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
                          hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
                          I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
                          subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
                          the Center.

                          Diamond Proudbrook

                        • Croft, Janet B
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 4, 2003
                            I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
                            library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
                            just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
                            since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
                            and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
                            <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
                            the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
                            Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

                            Janet Croft

                            > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                            Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                            27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1