Re: [mythsoc] Mythcon Sites

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
      >Immaculate Conception Center

      And that year, I suppose, we'd be the "MythConCeption."

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Croft, Janet B
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
        groan...

        Janet

        And that year, I suppose, we'd be the "MythConCeption."

        Diamond Proudbrook

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
        27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
        374-105951838331032> click here

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
        l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=209681615>

        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
          From: <alexeik@...>

          > In a message dated 7/31/3 2:18:38 AM, Mary wrote:
          >
          > <<What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
          > Midtown
          > and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.

          > Also a very short distance from where I live, so it would definitely get
          my
          > vote.

          Ah, but would it get you on the committee? That's the heart of the matter.
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
            In a message dated 7/30/2003 10:18:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            Stolzi@... writes:

            > She mentioned to me that the site, the Immaculate Conception Center in
            > Douglaston, Queens, New York, might be something to think about for a
            > Mythcon.
            >
            > What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
            > Midtown
            > and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.
            >
            > I offer this possibility to those who might be interested in throwing a New
            > York Mythcon at some later date. (Sounds like fun!)

            I asked the couple from the New York Tolkien Society if they would consider
            doing a Mythcon where they live in Staten Island. They said that while there
            were places there that would make good Mythcon sites, they would be too
            expensive. In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
            New York City area would be too expensive.

          • Stolzi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1 8:05 AM
              In a message dated 7/31/2003 10:17:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
              WendellWag@... writes:

              > In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
              > New York City area would be too expensive.

              The Lewis symposium was charging people $250, all included, for a slightly
              less long period than ours (no Monday morning). We (here) charged $240 for
              room and board plus a reg fee varying from $45-$70. (and $40 for students)

              So, unless Immaculate Conception was not supplying meals... it's a good rate.
              I might fwd these two messages along to Heren Istarion and see what they say.

              Diamond Proudbrook

            • Stolzi@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1 1:19 PM
                Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
                seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

                Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
                cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could run
                it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the Alabama, TN
                and North or South Carolina folks.

                BTW we did check with Nashville campuses (campi?) such as Belmont, but they
                don't do the summer-conference thing with their buildings. Maybe U of the
                South Sewanee does?

                MacPhersons? Are you here? And if you're not on the MythSoc list, why not?
                :)

                Diamond Proudbrook
              • Croft, Janet B
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1 1:27 PM
                  I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                  correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                  Janet

[...]

                  l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=416455495>

                  <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                  <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                • David S. Bratman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1 3:14 PM
                    At 01:19 PM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
                    >Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
                    >seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                    >there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

                    "Con on a mountaintop in Tennessee ..." Oh please, don't make me sing a
                    variant of the Davy Crockett theme. Please.

                    >Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
                    >cooler than lower altitudes,

                    It certainly worked in Hawaii. We were getting kind of hot and
                    uncomfortable down there in Hilo pre-con, and found the cool non-humid
                    weather up at Kilauea to be delightfully refreshing.

                    - David Bratman
                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1 4:16 PM
                      In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
                      writes:

                      > And if I remember
                      > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                      Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                    • Berni Phillips
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1 5:34 PM
                        From: <Stolzi@...>

                        > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
                        or
                        > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                        > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
                        >
                        > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
                        be
                        > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
                        run
                        > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
                        Alabama, TN
                        > and North or South Carolina folks.

                        Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
                        air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
                        It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
                        can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
                        be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
                        coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                        people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
                        Mythcon.

                        Berni
                      • Berni Phillips
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1 5:34 PM
                          From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                          > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                          > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                          Shades of Hogwarts!

                          Berni
                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1 7:44 PM
                            In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
                            bernip@... writes:

                            > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                            > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

                            We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
                            where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
                            holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
                            remember).

                            Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
                            to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
                            13) should be with a parent at all times.

                            I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
                            across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
                            hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
                            I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
                            subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
                            the Center.

                            Diamond Proudbrook

                          • Croft, Janet B
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 4 6:47 AM
                              I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
                              library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
                              just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
                              since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
                              and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
                              <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
                              the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
                              Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

                              Janet Croft

                              > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                              Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                              27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1