RE: [mythsoc] Thunder of Silence / Sutcliff query

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2003
      Original Message:
      From: Elizabeth Apgar Triano lizziewriter@...
      Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:04:34 -0400
      To: Mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [mythsoc] Thunder of Silence / Sutcliff query

      I guess we are all a bit stunned. Grace sent me a copy of an essay once.
      She is on my list of members I would have liked to meet if I ever got to an

      << Once folks have pulled themselves back together some, I'd love to hear
      more about Rosemary Sutcliff. I am struggling through _Sword at Sunset_,
      Arthurian novel. Her use of language is wonderful, but I sure with the
      book had a few maps in it because I am usually SO lost in terms of the
      peoples and the places. It is all wispily familiar, but one needs more
      than vague echoes to follow the battles, the terrain, and the cultural

      I've recently finished her *Eagle of the Ninth,* and am well into *The
      Silver Branch,* and have enjoyed them very much so far. Have *Sword at
      Sunset,* but haven't cracked it yet. Straightforward style; I
      particularly think her action scenes are well drawn. You might try one of
      Dave Duncan's "King's Blades" books: *The Gilded Chain* is the first one.

      << I would almost say the book reminds me of Moon's _Deed of Paksenarrion_
      its tone. Straightforward mostly, which is fairly alien to me but a nice

      Haven't read the Moon book, so can't compare. ---djb

      Lizzie Triano
      amor vincit omnia

      http://mail2web.com/ .