Mythcon Sites

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 30, 2003
      Of course the next two years are already set.

      However, a lady brought to Mythcon 34 some publicity flyers for a New York
      CSL Society symposium to be held Aug. 8-10 2003.

      She mentioned to me that the site, the Immaculate Conception Center in
      Douglaston, Queens, New York, might be something to think about for a Mythcon.

      What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from Midtown
      and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.

      I offer this possibility to those who might be interested in throwing a New
      York Mythcon at some later date. (Sounds like fun!)

      Website, http://www.iccdouglaston.org/

      The symposium stuff at http://www.nycslsociety.com/Meetings/Meetings.html
      (towards bottom) looks interesting; I particularly wish I could be there for

      Crystal Downing [Saturday Morning]Topic: The Abolition of Woman: Dorothy L.
      Sayers and C.S. Lewis Assoc. Professor of English & Film Studies ,Messiah
      College, Grantham, PAAuthor of: Writing Performances:The Stages of Dorothy L.
      Sayers (due 2004)

      Diamond Proudbrook

    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
        In a message dated 7/31/3 2:18:38 AM, Mary wrote:

        <<What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
        Midtown
        and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.

        Also a very short distance from where I live, so it would definitely get my
        vote.
        :-)
        Alexei
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
          In a message dated 7/31/2003 1:12:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
          alexeik@... writes:

          > Also a very short distance from where I live, so it would definitely get my
          >
          > vote.
          > :-)

          You are hereby nominated for Con Chairman that year :)

          Seriously, why don't you find out how many they can accommodate? Just to
          see.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
            >Immaculate Conception Center

            And that year, I suppose, we'd be the "MythConCeption."

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Croft, Janet B
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
              groan...

              Janet

              And that year, I suppose, we'd be the "MythConCeption."

              Diamond Proudbrook

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
              27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1
              374-105951838331032> click here

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupmai
              l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=209681615>

              <http://www.mythsoc.org>

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

            • Berni Phillips
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                From: <alexeik@...>

                > In a message dated 7/31/3 2:18:38 AM, Mary wrote:
                >
                > <<What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
                > Midtown
                > and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.

                > Also a very short distance from where I live, so it would definitely get
                my
                > vote.

                Ah, but would it get you on the committee? That's the heart of the matter.
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 31, 2003
                  In a message dated 7/30/2003 10:18:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
                  Stolzi@... writes:

                  > She mentioned to me that the site, the Immaculate Conception Center in
                  > Douglaston, Queens, New York, might be something to think about for a
                  > Mythcon.
                  >
                  > What I know from the flyer: it's air-conditioned, it's 1/2 hour from
                  > Midtown
                  > and airports, rooms are double occupancy, rates appear quite reasonable.
                  >
                  > I offer this possibility to those who might be interested in throwing a New
                  > York Mythcon at some later date. (Sounds like fun!)

                  I asked the couple from the New York Tolkien Society if they would consider
                  doing a Mythcon where they live in Staten Island. They said that while there
                  were places there that would make good Mythcon sites, they would be too
                  expensive. In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
                  New York City area would be too expensive.

                • Stolzi@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1 8:05 AM
                    In a message dated 7/31/2003 10:17:43 PM Central Daylight Time,
                    WendellWag@... writes:

                    > In fact, they said that they thought any of the acceptable sites in the
                    > New York City area would be too expensive.

                    The Lewis symposium was charging people $250, all included, for a slightly
                    less long period than ours (no Monday morning). We (here) charged $240 for
                    room and board plus a reg fee varying from $45-$70. (and $40 for students)

                    So, unless Immaculate Conception was not supplying meals... it's a good rate.
                    I might fwd these two messages along to Heren Istarion and see what they say.

                    Diamond Proudbrook

                  • Stolzi@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1 1:19 PM
                      Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
                      seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                      there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

                      Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
                      cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could run
                      it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the Alabama, TN
                      and North or South Carolina folks.

                      BTW we did check with Nashville campuses (campi?) such as Belmont, but they
                      don't do the summer-conference thing with their buildings. Maybe U of the
                      South Sewanee does?

                      MacPhersons? Are you here? And if you're not on the MythSoc list, why not?
                      :)

                      Diamond Proudbrook
                    • Croft, Janet B
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1 1:27 PM
                        I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                        correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                        Janet

[...]

                        l/S=:HM/A=1695348/rand=416455495>

                        <http://www.mythsoc.org>

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                      • David S. Bratman
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1 3:14 PM
                          At 01:19 PM 8/1/2003 , Stolzi wrote:
                          >Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference or
                          >seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                          >there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).

                          "Con on a mountaintop in Tennessee ..." Oh please, don't make me sing a
                          variant of the Davy Crockett theme. Please.

                          >Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would be
                          >cooler than lower altitudes,

                          It certainly worked in Hawaii. We were getting kind of hot and
                          uncomfortable down there in Hilo pre-con, and found the cool non-humid
                          weather up at Kilauea to be delightfully refreshing.

                          - David Bratman
                        • Stolzi@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 1 4:16 PM
                            In a message dated 8/1/2003 3:31:55 PM Central Daylight Time, jbcroft@...
                            writes:

                            > And if I remember
                            > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                            Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                          • Berni Phillips
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 1 5:34 PM
                              From: <Stolzi@...>

                              > Someone mentioned to me just recently that they were going to a conference
                              or
                              > seminar at Sewanee (probably at the campus of the University of the South
                              > there, atop a mountain in southeastern Tennessee).
                              >
                              > Now THERE's a thought. It's a very beautiful campus, with luck it would
                              be
                              > cooler than lower altitudes, and the Atlanta and Chattanooga people could
                              run
                              > it, I am sure to great effect. And it wd be nice and close for the
                              Alabama, TN
                              > and North or South Carolina folks.

                              Well, the Scarritt-Bennett site was lovely and all the buildings were
                              air-conditioned, which hasn't always been the case at previous Mythcons.
                              It's too bad that a couple of the rules didn't sit well with everyone. I
                              can understand the great need for a blanket rule for all who are under 13 to
                              be attended by an adult, but I can also understand our 12-year-olds not
                              coming because of it. I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                              people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening. It was still a great
                              Mythcon.

                              Berni
                            • Berni Phillips
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 1 5:34 PM
                                From: "Croft, Janet B" <jbcroft@...>

                                > I've been to Sewanee, and it's a gorgeous campus. And if I remember
                                > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                                Shades of Hogwarts!

                                Berni
                              • Stolzi@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 1 7:44 PM
                                  In a message dated 8/1/2003 7:37:34 PM Central Daylight Time,
                                  bernip@... writes:

                                  > I'm not much of a drinker myself, but I know some
                                  > people enjoy having beer or wine in the evening.

                                  We've had "dry" Mythcons before - I think of Pepperdine - and many others
                                  where wine was only served at the Banquet. And several folks went to watering
                                  holes a few blocks off the campus (not possible at Pepperdine, I seem to
                                  remember).

                                  Perhaps I should clarify for those who were not there - =we= made no rule as
                                  to children, but Scarritt-Bennett's rules stated that children under 16 (not
                                  13) should be with a parent at all times.

                                  I found three children disobeying this rule by vigorously marching in a line
                                  across the campus, one of them playing an ocarina. I did not see anyone
                                  hastening to arrest them, and in fact I joyfully joined the procession myself since
                                  I was going in the same direction. I think the ocarina-player was not
                                  subject to S-B rules anyway, as belonging iirc to Greg Feeley who was not staying at
                                  the Center.

                                  Diamond Proudbrook

                                • Croft, Janet B
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 4 6:47 AM
                                    I couldn't find anything on their website about it, but I was there for a
                                    library training session back in about 1995 or so, and the faculty (or maybe
                                    just the theology faculty?) were wearing robes then. Maybe they've changed
                                    since. Their website is http://www.sewanee.edu/ <http://www.sewanee.edu/> ,
                                    and a virtual campus tour at http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html
                                    <http://admission.sewanee.edu/tour/777.html> will show you how beautiful
                                    the campus is. The drive up and down the plateau is ... nerve-racking.
                                    Steep hairpin curves, anyone??

                                    Janet Croft

                                    > correctly, the faculty are required to wear robes!

                                    Nonono, Janet, that was Hogwarts.

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=259538.3625325.4914071.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=17050202
                                    27:HM/A=1695348/R=0/SIG=11u38u3s2/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/hit?page=1