Thunder of Silence / Sutcliff query

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30 6:04 PM
      I guess we are all a bit stunned. Grace sent me a copy of an essay once.
      She is on my list of members I would have liked to meet if I ever got to an
      event.

      Once folks have pulled themselves back together some, I'd love to hear more
      about Rosemary Sutcliff. I am struggling through _Sword at Sunset_, the
      Arthurian novel. Her use of language is wonderful, but I sure with the
      book had a few maps in it because I am usually SO lost in terms of the
      peoples and the places. It is all wispily familiar, but one needs more
      than vague echoes to follow the battles, the terrain, and the cultural
      implications.

      I would almost say the book reminds me of Moon's _Deed of Paksenarrion_ in
      its tone. Straightforward mostly, which is fairly alien to me but a nice
      change.

      Lizzie Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31 8:57 AM
        I guess we are all a bit stunned. Grace sent me a copy of an essay once.
        She is on my list of members I would have liked to meet if I ever got to an
        event.

        << Once folks have pulled themselves back together some, I'd love to hear
        more about Rosemary Sutcliff. I am struggling through _Sword at Sunset_,
        the
        Arthurian novel. Her use of language is wonderful, but I sure with the
        book had a few maps in it because I am usually SO lost in terms of the
        peoples and the places. It is all wispily familiar, but one needs more
        than vague echoes to follow the battles, the terrain, and the cultural
        implications.>>

        I've recently finished her *Eagle of the Ninth,* and am well into *The
        Silver Branch,* and have enjoyed them very much so far. Have *Sword at
        Sunset,* but haven't cracked it yet. Straightforward style; I
        particularly think her action scenes are well drawn. You might try one of
        Dave Duncan's "King's Blades" books: *The Gilded Chain* is the first one.

        << I would almost say the book reminds me of Moon's _Deed of Paksenarrion_
        in
        its tone. Straightforward mostly, which is fairly alien to me but a nice
        change.>>

        Haven't read the Moon book, so can't compare. ---djb

        Lizzie Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

        http://mail2web.com/ .