Re: [mythsoc] Re: Rowling's follow-up

  • David S. Bratman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
      At 04:30 AM 7/23/2003 , Pauline wrote:
      >Of course, for authors who aren't publishing serially (like Rowling)
      >or writing for a TV series (like Straczynski), it is also possible to
      >do the "foreshadowing" thing by going back and putting the gun on the
      >wall in Act I after you've written it into Act III. :)

      As Lisa wrote, Tolkien did that. If you read the LOTR drafts in "The
      History of Middle-earth" you can see him doing it. For instance, he first
      thought of Arwen* at the time of writing the scene where Aragorn receives
      her banner in Rohan. (This was after he'd invented Eowyn, and his first
      thought was her own - that of course she'd marry Aragorn.) Arwen's
      appearances in Rivendell were added in a later draft. Of course, when he
      first wrote the LOTR Rivendell scenes, there was no Aragorn: just Trotter
      the hobbit instead. If that had gone onto film in a weekly TV series, it
      would have taken some fast footwork to come up with anything even remotely
      resembling the LOTR we have.

      *that wasn't his original choice for her name, either.

      - David Bratman