Re: [mythsoc] Rowling's follow-up

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 22, 2003
      This is part of what I love about Babylon 5. JMS does a lot of the same
      sort of stuff. Joe claims a more famous author (Chekov) stated "If you
      are going to use a gun in the third act, you must show it on the wall in
      the first act. And if you show a gun in the first act, you should use it
      by the third." The idea being the this foreshadowing is very important
      and helps a good story be even better. As it is, in B5, throw away lines
      from the early seasons are turning points in later seasons. I can still
      watch episodes and catch something I missed the first dozen times.

      And, of yes, Tolkien does it too.

      What can I say, but it is the sign of a good writer who has actually
      thought out the world and the story, rather than just haphazardly made a
      series of books. I've heard Rowling has an outline of all seven books
      and detailed knowledge of all her characters and world, and so is only
      going through the fleshing out of the story when writing each book. And
      it shows.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
    • Pauline J. Alama
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
        Of course, for authors who aren't publishing serially (like Rowling)
        or writing for a TV series (like Straczynski), it is also possible to
        do the "foreshadowing" thing by going back and putting the gun on the
        wall in Act I after you've written it into Act III. :)

        Pauline

        --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan <lisa@h...>
        wrote:
        > This is part of what I love about Babylon 5. JMS does a lot of the
        same
        > sort of stuff. Joe claims a more famous author (Chekov) stated "If
        you
        > are going to use a gun in the third act, you must show it on the
        wall in
        > the first act. And if you show a gun in the first act, you should
        use it
        > by the third." The idea being the this foreshadowing is very
        important
        > and helps a good story be even better. As it is, in B5, throw away
        lines
        > from the early seasons are turning points in later seasons. I can
        still
        > watch episodes and catch something I missed the first dozen times.
        >
        > And, of yes, Tolkien does it too.
        >
        > What can I say, but it is the sign of a good writer who has
        actually
        > thought out the world and the story, rather than just haphazardly
        made a
        > series of books. I've heard Rowling has an outline of all seven
        books
        > and detailed knowledge of all her characters and world, and so is
        only
        > going through the fleshing out of the story when writing each book.
        And
        > it shows.
        >
        > Mythically yours,
        > Lisa
      • David S. Bratman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23, 2003
          At 04:30 AM 7/23/2003 , Pauline wrote:
          >Of course, for authors who aren't publishing serially (like Rowling)
          >or writing for a TV series (like Straczynski), it is also possible to
          >do the "foreshadowing" thing by going back and putting the gun on the
          >wall in Act I after you've written it into Act III. :)

          As Lisa wrote, Tolkien did that. If you read the LOTR drafts in "The
          History of Middle-earth" you can see him doing it. For instance, he first
          thought of Arwen* at the time of writing the scene where Aragorn receives
          her banner in Rohan. (This was after he'd invented Eowyn, and his first
          thought was her own - that of course she'd marry Aragorn.) Arwen's
          appearances in Rivendell were added in a later draft. Of course, when he
          first wrote the LOTR Rivendell scenes, there was no Aragorn: just Trotter
          the hobbit instead. If that had gone onto film in a weekly TV series, it
          would have taken some fast footwork to come up with anything even remotely
          resembling the LOTR we have.

          *that wasn't his original choice for her name, either.

          - David Bratman