what do dragons speak...

  • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 22, 1999
      Okay, so I need to learn who the other fantasists are, and get my
      subscriptions a-going. I guess my dragons don't only speak Welsh... they
      must speak some Anglo as well, as one of them picked up the nickname
      Kveldulf... DON'T tell me anyone could sue me on stealing from Egil's Saga...
      besides I spelt it wrong for years, so his tag is really Kvedulf, as was my
      license plate until it got too expensive :-(

      I also like Tolkien's... and Kipling's... verse that goes with their stories.
      Who else does that (published and from among these ranks, and both
      ggg)...besides me?

      Lizzie
    • Paul F. Labaki
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
        Lately I've noticed several references by members of this list to their
        efforts in "penning" fictional works. I too make my (unfortunately humble)
        attempts, but I'm just a run of the mill hack (in my not so humble opinion).
        I would appreciate any suggestions of writing manuals specifically tailored
        to crafting fantasy fiction. Has anyone out there found something in
        particular to be helpful? I welcome any suggestions as my resolution this
        year, in contravention to last year's resolution to make none in the future,
        is to work at my writing this year rather than treating it as an occasional
        entertainment or recreation.

        Many thanks for any and all suggestions.

        Paul Labaki

      • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
          Hi Paul,

          About 10 years ago I could have rattled off all sorts of tips, and even ms.
          prep style for my favorite place to submit, but, well, not lately {wry
          laugh}. Why do you say you're a hack? It won't come out like you want it
          to, or what? Or I should MYOB (I'm terrible at that, but I accept rebuttal
          readily LOL).

          There are some trade mags out there... in the past I've gotten some good info
          out of Writer's Digest mag. Some issues are better than others.

          We all get tired of hearing ths, but Read, read, read; and Write, write,
          write. The more we do the better it gets. Boy is that ever true. Put
          things aside and look at them later. Then, go back and owrk on them (as
          opposed to put things aside and never go back to them).

          I also look fwd to hearing what the group has to say, as I'm rusty and, while
          I think I have some strengths, I know I hav lots of weaknesses!

          Lizzie
        • Robert and Jane Bigelow
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 27, 1999
            Paul,

            You've said it yourself--"to work at my writing this year". If it gets to
            be just drudgery, then for pity's sake find something else to do with your
            time and energies; if you still love writing/your story/the idea you're
            working on, even when it's driving you mad, then keep at it. I've had a
            few short stories and articles published myself. IMHO, all the tips work
            for somebody sometime. The one universal seems to be that you have to work
            at it *often* or you lose momentum and forget so much that it's like
            starting all over again.

            I haven't seen your work, so can't judge it. I too wonder why you call
            yourself a hack. Personally, I don't think there's any disgrace in turning
            out solid, enjoyable and honest work even if you never do win medals,
            awards, or glowing mentions in lit'rary journals. I certainly hope so!

            Jane Bigelow
          • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 28, 1999
              In a message dated 12/27/1999 11:12:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              bigelow@... writes:

              << Personally, I don't think there's any disgrace in turning
              out solid, enjoyable and honest work even if you never do win medals,
              awards, or glowing mentions in lit'rary journals. I certainly hope so! >>
              Hear hear! After all, a lot of the stuff that gets awards and such is nasty
              to read, IMNSHO

              Lizzie
            • Paul F. Labaki
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
                I must agree, Lizzie. I would be astonished to learn that someone writing
                with the intention of winning some sort of literary prize actually won.
                While we write for an audience, the initial audience is almost always
                composed of one, the author.

                Would you give some examples of nasty stuff that wins awards? I have often
                thouroughly enjoyed some Hugo and Nebula Award winning titles Heinlein's
                "Stranger in a Strange Land" and Willis' "Doomsday Book" come quickly to
                mind, as well as several of those efforts receiving the Mythopoeic Fantasy
                Award, although I disagree as often as I approve of the winner.

                Paul Labaki

                ----------
                >From: ERATRIANO@...
                >To: mythsoc@onelist.com
                >Subject: Re: [mythsoc] what do dragons speak...
                >Date: Tue, Dec 28, 1999, 7:51 AM
                >

                > From: ERATRIANO@...
                >
                > In a message dated 12/27/1999 11:12:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > bigelow@... writes:
                >
                > << Personally, I don't think there's any disgrace in turning
                > out solid, enjoyable and honest work even if you never do win medals,
                > awards, or glowing mentions in lit'rary journals. I certainly hope so! >>
                > Hear hear! After all, a lot of the stuff that gets awards and such is nasty
                > to read, IMNSHO
                >
                > Lizzie

              • Paul F. Labaki
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
                  Thanks for the encouragement, Jane.

                  I guess I can cope with an increased dose of madness in my life. I'm
                  curious about your equating work with drudgery. I don't see them as
                  synonymous. When I said that I resolve to work at my writing this year, I
                  mean that I will engage in the experience more often, even with a schedule,
                  and be disciplined in not allowing fatigue or distractions to divert me. I
                  want to engage in some exercises not of my own devising in addition to
                  trying things my own way. I know that approaching my own ideas from angles
                  that I've not thought of myself can expose them in ways I've not explored.
                  I think it is integral to the creative process for the maker to be open and
                  to avoid being trapped by his own regimine or process. It is dangerous or
                  damaging to the creative process for the maker to get too comfortable.

                  Also, let's face it; writing is hard work requiring exhaustive labor like
                  many other enjoyable recreations, skiing, gardening, etc. I have to fight a
                  strong tendancy toward laziness. After all, isn't reading so much less
                  labor, and a valid, even, for a writer, a necessary diversion?

                  Paul Labaki

                • ERATRIANO@xxx.xxx
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 1, 2000
                    In a message dated 01/01/2000 11:02:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                    sheik@... writes:

                    << Would you give some examples of nasty stuff that wins awards? >>
                    nope, can't do. Not the big awards, they get good stuff. I am thinking,
                    smaller "artsy" awards that go to things most of us have trouble reading.
                    Things which wouldn't survive a grammar analysis. Such as my sentences.
                    LOL. I think my mind is doing the ossifying thing, as I am getting more
                    opinionated than I ever used to be. (Memory was never good, so being unable
                    to remember things I didn't like in the first place is no surprise.)

                    Lizzie