Re: [mythsoc] A Greeting from Anne

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 18, 2003
      In a message dated 7/18/2003 6:57:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      lizziewriter@... writes:

      > How about three cheers for the so-called free market?

      I didn't say that it was terrible that what was going on there was a free
      market for who was depicted as a icon. What I was saying was that it seemed
      clear to me that it *was* a free market that was determining what people would be
      pictured in their icons. The discussion that went on here made it sound like
      they had chosen which people to use for the icons according to some political
      principle. When I looked at the list of people that they were using, it
      seemed clear to me that the people were rather varied in politics and religion and
      the company was just saying, "Hey, anybody that you consider to be a saint is
      O.K. with us."

      I was not saying that it's good or bad to use political principles to
      determine who should be depicted as an icon. I was not saying that it's good or bad
      to use the free market to determine who should be depicted as an icon. That
      sort of discussion isn't even particularly interesting to me, and it's exactly
      the sort of endless debate that never persuades anybody.