Re: [mythsoc] OT: new icons (was A Greeting from Anne)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
      From: <Stolzi@...>

      > hershber@... writes:
      > >
      > > I wonder if you might elaborate on the "leftish" comment above. I am
      > > curious...it did not strike me that way, but my reading may be
      deficient.

      > Well, they've put out icons of Dorothy Day, ML King Jr, Gandhi (!) and
      Harvey
      > Milk (!!)

      I see your point Mary. I would like to add, however, that putting up an
      icon of Dorothy Day is not an unorthodox (little o, not big O like yours)
      thing to do. Cardinal O'Connor, before he died, was advancing the cause of
      Dorothy Day for sainthood. Day had stated before her death that she did not
      want to go up for canonization.

      I think she's wrong -- we need modern examples of saints. Regardless of
      what one thinks of her politics, she was a 20th-century St. Francis of
      Assisi, trying to live out the gospel as closely as she could. (I like to
      contrast her with Joy Davidman. Here were two contemporary women, writers
      who had a wild youth and then fell in love with the gospel. Davidman's path
      led her to C.S. Lewis and she was rather anti-Catholic, based on what Diana
      Glyer has described of one of her out of print novels. Day's led her to the
      Catholic Church and the social justice movement. If Day is canonized,
      she'll be the first saint we know of who had an abortion. (She sorely
      regretted it.))

      Icons are back in style. They're part of the Roman Catholic tradition as
      well as the Orthodox (although not as large a part of ours as yours).

      Berni
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2003
        In a message dated 7/18/2003 7:58:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
        bernip@... writes:

        > Icons are back in style. They're part of the Roman Catholic tradition as
        > well as the Orthodox (although not as large a part of ours as yours).

        Actually icons are very big everywhere right now. My (Episcopal) church just
        had an icon-writing (you don't paint icons, you write them) workshop of a very
        raditional sort (you would have loved it, Diamond). I loved what they were
        doing, but I also love some of the modern ones; for a long time I used BBI's
        icon of Julian with her cat (speaking of people who've never been canonized--can
        you _believe_!) as note cards.

        Anne

      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 19, 2003
          Confession time:

          For the first year or so I was Orthodox, I had the little drawings of Lewis,
          Williams and Tolkien by Pat Wynne, framed, on my icon shelf.

          Diamond Proudbrook
        • Stolzi@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19, 2003
            In a message dated 7/18/2003 7:58:00 PM Central Daylight Time,
            bernip@... writes:

            > Day

            All very well said, Berni.