Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1309

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2003
      In a message dated 7/18/2003 12:34:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
      sschaper@... writes:

      > Quite a few people who not only aren't beatified, but are known to -not-
      > have lived "lives of heroic virtue"

      But isn't that the idea--to get people to consider, and perhaps redefine,
      what we mean by 'heroic virtue'? Perhaps even what we mean by 'holiness'? In this
      context, Tolkien may not have lived a life of heroic virtue (that is not for
      me to judge) but he certainly has played a major role in defining it for the
      21st century.

      Anne