Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1309

  • Steve Schaper
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 18, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 12:13, mythsoc@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > Well, they've put out icons of Dorothy Day, ML King Jr, Gandhi (!) and Harvey
      > Milk (!!)

      Not to mention Jesus as a pagan shaman and God as the Queen of Air and Darkness of the Gardnerite cult (pneumon ton aion in the New Testament).

      Quite a few people who not only aren't beatified, but are known to -not- have lived "lives of heroic virtue"

      But there is attractive art there, nonetheless.
    • jamcconney@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2003
        In a message dated 7/18/2003 12:34:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
        sschaper@... writes:

        > Quite a few people who not only aren't beatified, but are known to -not-
        > have lived "lives of heroic virtue"

        But isn't that the idea--to get people to consider, and perhaps redefine,
        what we mean by 'heroic virtue'? Perhaps even what we mean by 'holiness'? In this
        context, Tolkien may not have lived a life of heroic virtue (that is not for
        me to judge) but he certainly has played a major role in defining it for the
        21st century.

        Anne