RE: [mythsoc] Barfield and Tolkien

  • bowring
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2003
      David Lenander wrote:
      >"Prof. Flieger hinges her entire discussion of Barfield's influence on
      >Tolkien on a single reported conversation."

      >For heaven's sake, just read _Poetic Diction_ and then read Lewis &
      >Tolkien's early work. You don't need to know that the men knew each other
      >and were friends. The influence is clear.
      >
      >Likewise, Tolkien certainly knew Coleridge, but the influence from Barfield
      >on his apprehension of Coleridge is similarly clear in "On Fairy Stories."

      David, I am not saying that there is no influence. I want a more careful
      examination of the nature and extent of the influence. Tolkien, Barfield,
      Lewis--and let's add in Charles Williams for good measure--are not simply
      three peas in a pod, whose ideas are interchangeable. As I said before, I am
      interested in where they all both converge and diverge.

      I would say the same thing for the influence of Coleridge: none of them, not
      even Barfield, simply takes over Coleridge; they modified whatever they found.
      I want to understand the nature of these modifications better than I do
      because important matters are at stake.

      I am taking a week or so to examine some of this more carefully. When I am
      done, I will try to condense what I think into something of manageable email
      length.

      Keep your sword at the ready!
      Kevin