interesting news on Narnia Movies

  • Stolzi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2003
      The link as given to me (if it still works) was
      http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/dominionpost/0,2106,2553748a6479,00.html

      Narnia may deliver Rings-like riches

      MONDAY , 30 JUNE 2003

      By TOM CARDY
      New Zealand's doubling as the fantasy world of Narnia would boost our
      film industry and tourism in the way that The Lord of the Rings has,
      its director says.

      Andrew Adamson, a New Zealander who won the best animated film Oscar
      for Shrek, which he co-directed, wants to shoot some of his next film
      in New Zealand.

      The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, with a reported budget of $170
      million, is based on the second book, published in 1950, of C S
      Lewis' seven-part Chronicles of Narnia.

      But live-action shooting will not go ahead here unless it gets a tax
      incentive or other support. The Government's decision on whether to
      support the film is expected next week.

      Adamson, who lives in Los Angeles, said the project would provide
      more work for New Zealand's film industry. Weta Workshop in
      Wellington was already making props, including swords and armour,
      while New Zealander Grant Major, The Lord of the Rings production
      designer, is the film's producer and design director.

      "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe offers some of what The Lord of
      the Rings offers as far as being a classic story, having a big appeal
      to a huge audience.

      "But also being a very location-based film, as Wellington became
      Middle-earth, there's a good possibility that locations in New
      Zealand will become Narnia," Adamson said.

      "The Lord of the Rings ended up being a huge commercial for New
      Zealand. I have lived (in Los Angeles) now for 12 years, I've always
      been an advocate of encouraging people to go to New Zealand. Over the
      years maybe one person I knew actually made the trip. The last couple
      of years since The Lord of the Rings came out, I know four or five
      that have made the trip."

      Adamson said despite Hollywood films such as The Last Samurai being
      shot in New Zealand, there was no guarantee the country would attract
      overseas film-makers without more incentives.

      "If Peter (Jackson) decides to take two or three years off, the film
      industry could suddenly drop away. People will end up moving overseas
      to get work and you'll lose them and then you don't have the talent
      base there to attract other things back in."

      Adamson said if The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe were shot here,
      filming was likely to be this summer. While he had considered
      shooting snow-bound scenes in New Zealand those would be shot in the
      northern hemisphere.

      Adamson scouted from Dunedin to Cape Reinga for suitable locations,
      much of the time by helicopter. He looked around Wellington, but was
      not sure if the region would end up in the film.

      "Peter Jackson's kind of tapped out a lot of those locations," he
      said.