Re: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

  • Matthew Winslow
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
      WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
      > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
      <snip>
      >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
      <snip>
      > Yolen thinks
      <snip>
      > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

      Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
      referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
      Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
      such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

      "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
      people."
      --Oscar Wilde
      Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
    • Jack
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
        >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
        >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
        >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
        >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

        Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
        she's ever gotten.

        ***

        The Pub Message Board
        [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

        My First REAL hate mail

        Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
        User logged in as: pen

        Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
        write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
        somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
        mail..." I didn't.

        Jane

        Ms. Yolen,
        I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
        have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
        on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
        Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
        If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
        your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
        impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
        names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
        some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
        couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
        read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
        Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
        some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
        authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
        definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
        Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
        you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
        ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
        type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
        children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
        have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
        of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
        employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
        things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
        literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
        constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
        disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
        think of children who have read this shameful production of
        garbage and having been influence

      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
            >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

            I think that it was reference to incest.