Re: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 9 4:24 AM
      So, if I understand this correctly, what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
      that a reader has written her to complain about her book. That doubtlessly
      happens all the time, and most of the time the writer might just as well ignore
      the complaints. Apparently what's bothering Yolen is that the reader is so
      clueless in her complaints. Yolen thinks that everybody should know that incest
      is part of the story of King Arthur, whereas this reader thinks that Yolen is
      introducing it into the story. Furthermore, Yolen thinks that this person's
      complaints about the name given to Merlin in the story is ridiculous.

    • Matthew Winslow
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 9 7:53 AM
        WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
        > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
        <snip>
        >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
        <snip>
        > Yolen thinks
        <snip>
        > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

        Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
        referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
        Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
        such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

        "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
        people."
        --Oscar Wilde
        Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
      • Jack
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 9 8:05 AM
          >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
          >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
          >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
          >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

          Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
          she's ever gotten.

          ***

          The Pub Message Board
          [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

          My First REAL hate mail

          Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
          User logged in as: pen

          Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
          write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
          somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
          mail..." I didn't.

          Jane

          Ms. Yolen,
          I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
          have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
          on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
          Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
          If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
          your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
          impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
          names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
          some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
          couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
          read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
          Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
          some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
          authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
          definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
          Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
          you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
          ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
          type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
          children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
          have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
          of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
          employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
          things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
          literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
          constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
          disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
          think of children who have read this shameful production of
          garbage and having been influence

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 10 8:01 AM
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 10 8:54 AM
              >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

              I think that it was reference to incest.