RE: [mythsoc] Clueless Reader

  • Jack
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
      >So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
      >pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
      >up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
      >well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
      >that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty online
      >powertripping from any other? Or are such nastygrams really rare and I am
      >just a cynical NYer?

      Not at all uncommon. At Green Man, we did a negative review of Clement
      Davies' The Sight novel. The reviewer
      has gotten dozens of emails complaining about how unfair the review is. And
      right now, I have in my inbox, an email
      from a well-known Irish music reviewer complaining that we gavea favorable
      review of a book that he didn't like!

    • Berni Phillips
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

        > So.... so someone doesn't like a book and sends a nasty email. Rude and
        > pointless as it may be, how is it all that unusual? Stuff like that turns
        > up in periodical readers' mail all the time. The opinions sound pretty
        > well within the scope of normal, if extreme. What is the important point
        > that I am missing here that separates this particular piece of nasty
        online
        > powertripping from any other?

        Well, considering the recipient, I find it pretty amazing. I have not read
        this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
        to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

        Berni
      • Stolzi@aol.com
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
          In a message dated 7/8/2003 7:30:59 PM Central Daylight Time,
          bernip@... writes:

          > I have not read
          > this particular book of Yolen's, but she's a writer who I would not hesitate
          > to recommend to anyone wanting to *avoid* "filth."

          I'd agree that an incestuous mother-son relationship is not precisely what I
          long to see in children's fiction, if that's indeed what Yolen did, but then I
          am an old biddy, or geezerette as a friend of mine says.

          Even in ONCE AND FUTURE KING, White kind of skates over the Arthur/Morgause
          relationship, though he DOES say what happened; and he is not writing for
          children.

          Diamond Proudbrook

        • Bill
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 8, 2003
            The hint of incest between Morgan/Morgause and
            Mordred/Medraut is hardly
            a new thing in Arthurian novels
            I'd venture a guess the complainer has never read any of the
            more modern
            novels.
            Bill

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
              So, if I understand this correctly, what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
              that a reader has written her to complain about her book. That doubtlessly
              happens all the time, and most of the time the writer might just as well ignore
              the complaints. Apparently what's bothering Yolen is that the reader is so
              clueless in her complaints. Yolen thinks that everybody should know that incest
              is part of the story of King Arthur, whereas this reader thinks that Yolen is
              introducing it into the story. Furthermore, Yolen thinks that this person's
              complaints about the name given to Merlin in the story is ridiculous.

            • Matthew Winslow
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                WendellWag@... [WendellWag@...] wrote:
                > what Jane Yolen is bothered about is not
                <snip>
                >Apparently what's bothering Yolen
                <snip>
                > Yolen thinks
                <snip>
                > Furthermore, Yolen thinks

                Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                "Democracy means simply the bludgeoning of the people by the people for the
                people."
                --Oscar Wilde
                Currently reading: Naimh and the Hermit by Emily C.A. Snyder
              • Jack
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 9, 2003
                  >Um, is it just me, or did anyone else not receive the email that Wendell is
                  >referring to? All I got was what Joan forwarded that had a brief comment from
                  >Ms. Yolen, and not much more. Something that brief certainly could not produce
                  >such insight into Ms. Yolen's thinking process.

                  Here is is, courtest of JAne who tells me it's the first real hate mail
                  she's ever gotten.

                  ***

                  The Pub Message Board
                  [ Post a Response | The Pub Message Board ]

                  My First REAL hate mail

                  Posted by Jane Yolen on July 7, 2003, 2:09 am
                  User logged in as: pen

                  Thought you might be fascinated by this. And while I was tempted to
                  write:" Dear Ms. Sims, I thought you should know that some crazy person has
                  somehow gotten hold of your computer and has been sending out bizarre
                  mail..." I didn't.

                  Jane

                  Ms. Yolen,
                  I am currently about 30 pages into the piece of trash "book" that you
                  have called "Sword of the Rightful King." Ôø‡I do not know where to start
                  on my soon to be brutal criticism of this disgrace to literature.
                  Ôø‡Firstly, what were you thinking changing the story of King Arthur? Ôø‡
                  If you're going to change the story, then change the story, but make up
                  your mind and don't steal character names to make your failure seem more
                  impressive. Ôø‡Similarly, if you have decided to keep the same character
                  names, then KEEP THE SAME CHARACTER NAMES. Ôø‡ I don't know if there was
                  some ancient tale that told of Merlin's name being Merlinnus, but I really
                  couldn't care less. Ôø‡Anyone who would read this book (or be forced to
                  read this book in my case) would not know that Merlinnus was his real name.
                  Ôø‡ In the event that you were just in a goofy mood and thought you'd have
                  some fun with names, I think you are even more of a disgrace to young adult
                  authors than I had before. Ôø‡I do not really see a very clear
                  definition of what age group this filth should be applied to either.
                  Ôø‡You say that it is a book intended for young adults, and I guess that
                  you are probably pretty close, atleast you found a mean between the two
                  ridiculous extremes I'm about to describe to you. Ôø‡ The writing style,
                  type face, and crazilly large margins seem as if intended for young
                  children, and maybe you have no control over the publishing, but you do
                  have complete control (ignoring the influence of editors) Ôø‡over the sort
                  of language used in the novel. Ôø‡ As opposed to the childish writing style
                  employed in this trainwreck, I have already, by page 30, noticed several
                  things that would not be appropriate for children under 16 to be reading in
                  literature. Ôø‡I am referring obviously to your use of the word "damn"
                  constantly, and your placing innappropriate, unnecessary, and really quite
                  disgusting sexual themes where ever they can be put. Ôø‡ I am appalled to
                  think of children who have read this shameful production of
                  garbage and having been influence

                • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 10, 2003
                      >So what bizarre things go on in the Yolen book that made this woman so mad?

                      I think that it was reference to incest.